Riding Across Wisconsin - Day 2

Just a few miles from the finish line.
8/18/2019 (pw photo)
Day 2 wasn't picture-perfect like day one, but despite a forecast of thunderstorms and high humidity it was time to finish part two.

As it was only 90 miles, we didn't start until 8 o'clock.  On the way to the starting point, I saw bikes already on the course trying to get ahead of the weather.

After unloading the bike, I had the Wheel & Sprocket bike mechanics adjust the tires to the right pressure.  Because of the expected rain and strong winds, I didn't want to ride alone.

As I headed to the start, I saw a biker.  I asked if I could join him and what pace he liked to ride.  He said he was right around 15 (mph), which matched my pace, and we rode out of Plover around 7:45.

A mechanic outside Sunday stop #3 in
Manawa. 8/18/19 dwm photo
The first stretch was brutal for Phil and me as we rode into a strong headwind.  The road was flat, but it felt like we were going uphill.

It was the kind of day that would have persuaded me to head home if I was riding around Madison.  That wasn't an option, so we kept moving with the wind in our faces at every turn.

A rough 15 miles later we pulled into a wind-blown rest stop in Amherst.  The weather wasn't good, but it wasn't raining, so we didn't want to waste the dry weather and quickly got back on the road.

I'm not sure what happened, maybe the wind shifted, but the whole ride changed as we cruised county roads through Ogdensburg, Manawa, and Sugar Bush on the way to Shiocton.

My only close call of the ride came on County Road WW.  We were moving at a good pace and talking when we reacted to a flash.  It was a large farm dog in hot pursuit reaching the center of the road, just six feet away.

At the last stop on Stingle Road, 32 miles from the finish.
8/18/2019 dwm photo
Thankfully we were at full-speed, 24 miles an hour.  The dog just missed us and turned back home.  It happened so fast it was hard to process, but we didn't slow down for several miles.

I learned Phil lives in Duluth, the latest of several homes during his life, and after a major health issue a few years earlier decided he wanted back on his bike.

We talked about families, hobbies, and work. 

Later, we laughed about an even bigger dog than the one that chased us, until quickly realizing it was a White-Tailed Doe chased by two offspring across a Green Bay street.

When we had a chance, we caught on to the back of a passing group of 8 riders.  We tucked behind the last two and got faster without working harder, increasing our speed to 20 miles an hour.  It was fast and it was fun.  Whenever we stopped at an intersection, it took me a bit to catch up, so I tried to stay close.

On Fish Creek Road, 18 miles from the finish, I heard a rider up front yell, "Clear."  That means "no traffic, keep moving."  Then I saw a rider in front of me at a dead stop.  I hit the brakes and came to a stop.  But too fast, I failed to get my shoes out of the clips, and fell to the pavement on my right forearm, hip and lower leg.  Ouch.  It was my own RAW, a Road Abrasion Wound.

98 miles later at the finish line in Green Bay. 8/18/19 (rkm)
The woman who was stopped came back to help.  Phil returned to check on me.  I had quickly got back on the bike and was ready to go, when my biking buddy suggested I let the man driving the medical support vehicle, right behind us, check me out.

That was the smart thing to do.  After the cuts were cleaned and treated, it was back on the road.

During the ride, I learned Phil grew up in Chicago and a fan of their football team.

Despite, or maybe because of that, I wanted to get a picture together in front of Lambeau Field.

My bike buddy, Phil (right) and I celebrate at
Lambeau Field.  8/18/2019 dwm photo
He refused to pose with his bike aloft, but did agreed to get the one at left.  With that done, it was back in the saddle for the last couple of miles to the finish party on the Fox River.

We were a good team.  Time passed quickly as we talked along the miles and shared taking the lead position so the other could get a breather.

The two day RAW ride was the most for either of us in two days - 231 miles in less than 36 hours.

We heard cheering as we crossed the river.

It wasn't a race, but was an accomplishment.

Tired. Happy. Finished.  8/18/2019 (rkm)
Phil and I met each other's spouse - posed for more pictures and headed off to collect our finishing prize of a custom pottery beer mug and get something to eat.

We crossed the line just past 2 pm - less than 6 and a half hours after leaving in Plover.

We started facing strong winds, yet finished with a fast time -  completing 98 miles in 5 hours, 43 minutes. We averaged 17.2 miles per hour; I can still barely believe it.

Day 1, according to my odometer, was 133 miles, not the 135 on the map, but day 2 counted 98 instead of the originally mapped 90 for a two day total of 231.

The ride was awesome.  It was well organized over a carefully planned route with challenges and fun over the less-traveled highways and by-ways of central Wisconsin. 

The day after I wasn't any the worse for wear.  No aching muscles, and just a few twinges from the scraped arm.  The bathroom scale indicated I even lost a few pounds!

Comments