Ride by the Lakes

The northeast corner of Lake Mendota where the Yahara
River flows in.  8/10/19 dwm photo
I have a big ride coming up, so on Saturday I tried to replicate at least a small portion of that ride.

Lakes are a big part of Madison's identity since it literally began on a narrow strip of land between Lakes Mendota and Monona. Those lakes dominate the landscape and city life.

When it comes to favorite rides - circling those lakes either individually or together - are some of my favorites.

I left home just before 9, heading north on the Ice Age Trail, then scaled a couple hills on High Point Road on my way to Middleton.  There were a couple moderate hills there with two more east of town over the county highway which bends north of Lake Mendota.

The Tenney Park Locks allows small boats to enter or exit
Lake Mendota to reach the Yahara River. 8/10/19 (dwm)
The bike turned south at Skipper Bud's - a boat sales and service dealer - near a major crossroads and where the Yahara River flows into Lake Mendota.  It provides slips and maintenance for a small flotilla of water craft.

The road hugs the shoreline on the way back into Madison where it took me past a large space with dozens of plots for community gardeners.  It looked great.

As the shoreline turned west, so did I, all the way to the Tenney Park Locks.  That's where I followed a short stretch of the Yahara River to the shore of Lake Monona.

From a small Monona lakeside park -
the white dome in the center is the
State Capitol.  8/10/19 (dwm)
While riding in the bike lane along Cottage Grove Road, a man who is unlikely to be on the list of Madison's best and brightest, screamed at me as his car passed within a few feet.  I guess he doesn't like bikes or yellow bike bags or people in general.  Fortunately, nothing happened.  I waved with five fingers to let him know I received his message.  He indicated back that I was number 1.

The Lake Loop around Monona eventually intersects with the Capital City trail which I followed for most of the ride home.

It was there I had a much nicer encounter.  As I rode up the Ice Age Trail to where I'd turn there was a young family with a little girl (maybe 5 years old) on a small bike. 

As I approached, I waved at the family, the girl said, "You have a cool bike!"  Which actually made me feel number one.

Home was in sight - 50 miles, 14.7 mph average, 3 hours, 24 minutes.

Comments