Brush with Famous - Chester Marcol

This is similar to the picture Chester Marcol
signed.  (internet image)
Unlike Blaise Winter, whom I met as an adult - I met Green Bay Packer Chester Marcol when I was 11 years old.

Marcol was a placekicker with the Packers from 1972 to 1980 before finishing his NFL career with the Houston Oilers (now the Tennessee Titans).

I knew he was born in Poland and kicked for Green Bay.  The Packer connection made me want to meet him.

When my Dad took me to the place in Janesville where he was making an appearance, I wasn't aware of personal issues that came to light later, he was a Packer and that was enough.

Marcol was 14 when he came to the United States with his family.  He was a good soccer player, discovered by the coach of his high school football team in Michigan.  In the 1970s a lot of soccer players were in the NFL.

Marcol is more famous than a lot of Packers from an era of mostly unsuccessful football.  He scored a touchdown against the Chicago Bears and made lots of field goals.

I don't know when I lost track of his autographed photo, but it was the brush with a guy associated with the Green and Gold that makes meeting him a lifelong memory.

Comments