Brush with Famous - Blaise Winter

Blaise Winter played
for Green Bay 1988-91.
(Internet image)
Blaise Winter played on the defensive line in the NFL for 11 years (1984 - 1994).

Four years were spent in Green Bay.  I was aware of him, but I didn't meet him until his post-football career as a coach and motivational speaker was underway.

As odd as it sounds, I learned he was a speaker thanks to an ad on a sports talk show while driving through Oshkosh, Wisconsin.  At the time, I was on a planning committee for a convention of agents with Aid Association for Lutherans (a Fraternal Benefit Society offering insurance and investment products).  We needed an appropriate speaker for the fall conference.

I called the number from the ad and arranged to meet him at a Perkins Restaurant in Appleton.  I met a passionate and enthusiastic individual who wanted to be more than a keynote speaker - he wanted to be a part of the conference - even attending other sessions.

Winter speaking at an event.
(internet image)
Winter wasn't a star on the level of Brett Favre or even Don Majkowski (the Quarterback before Favre), but when you need a speaker getting one with Packer connections is a smart way to get a crowd in Packerland.

Blaise didn't disappoint - he talked about sacking famous 49er quarterback Joe Montana and the trajectory of his career which began with only big college interested in him.  He was very good.  He is also very nice and kind.

A couple years later, I used him again, at a dinner - auction raising money for Camp Luther in north Wisconsin.  It was the first fundraising event I ran (it would have looked like the photo at right) and he made it a success.

Unlike most of my "brushes" with famous, this was more than a handshake or brief interview.  We became acquainted, even friends over those years - I wish him well.  And if you need a good speaker, I recommend him highly.

Comments