Where are my Readers?

My reading glasses.  6/28/2019 dwm photo
I've worn glasses or contact lenses since the 9th grade so I can see stuff in the distance and not get constant headaches.

My near vision is just fine when I take the contacts out at day's end.  In fact, I could read just fine in my contacts until four years ago.

Just after turning 50, I noticed I could read better if I covered my left eye and just read out of my right one (while in contacts).  That worked for a while.

It was two years ago I bought my first pair of reading glasses.  They were actually too strong.  If I looked up while wearing them, I couldn't see at all.  So I backed down to 1.0 strength.

Lately, I've reached the point where I need a pair of those cheaters at hand.  Before that, I had a pair in each office and a pair at home.  When I needed them, I used them, but could otherwise read things like menus or a map when I was out and about.  Three months ago, I realized I could only read the large print on the menu or in the newspaper without the glasses.

Yet, I'm still baffled on the best way to carry the darn things.

Those glasses that 'click' apart at the nose and hang around your shoulders don't feel like my thing.   I don't always have a shirt pocket to hold them, and pants pockets aren't good.  The real small reading glasses I've seen come in a handy case, but those appear to be aimed at women.

I've asked colleagues and friends for ideas.  I asked my eye doctor and his assistants what they suggest with no answer in sight.

If you see me squinting, or holding a hand over my left eye some time - now you know why.

Comments