Riding in Soup

Soupy sunrise off the Badger State Trail.
7/20/19 dwm photo
At 5:50 AM I pedaled away from home, the bike computer showed 78 degrees.  The dew point was 77.

It was thick and soupy.

Make a few movements, not strenuous ones, and you had a sweat that didn't evaporate.

"Just a quick ride," was the plan as I headed east with no an idea where to begin the return trip.

County M travels south east toward Oregon (we pronounce it or eh GON).  That was my original thought, but as I reached where the paved portion of the Badger State Trail crossed the road, I hopped on it instead.

Bald Eagles in the trees above
Goose Lake. 7/20/19 (dwm)
I saw a number of folks with the same idea, out on their bikes or running before the heat became more oppressive.

I stopped twice for pictures.  When I saw the Bald Eagles roosting high in two dead trees over Goose Lake near the Military Ridge path, I was sorry I didn't have a longer lens.

The eagle on the tree in the center of the photo (left) is easier to see than his partner - he/she is on the tree to the left at virtually the same height poised above the trees behind it.

After the second stop, I headed home via my gym to hop on the elliptical machine for a while before going home for a shower and breakfast.

It wasn't a bad day on the bike, 20 miles and a quick workout.

I'm looking forward to my next ride having temps in the 70s and a dew point closer to 50.

Comments