Racing with Sausages

Me (white shirt) heading to the finish with an Italian
Sausage not far behind.  7/28/19 rkm photo
I have great admiration for the Brewer Racing Sausages.

They are amazingly athletic considering, they are sausages.  Add in warm weather and a tight outer casing - it is impressive these running pieces of meat survive.

At the 21st Annual Sausages 5K Saturday, the Brewers Racing Sausages toed the starting line and finished the 3.1 miles at least slightly cooked.

For the first time - I passed 4 of the 5.

The Bratwurst and Chorizo I caught a mile into the run.  Next were the Hot Dog and Italian Sausage in mile two.  However, the Italian didn't let up.  I thought he was way behind, but he shadowed me around the warning track in Miller Park and was close when we turned down the home stretch.

Searching for a closing kick to
the finish. 7/28/19 (rkm)
The Polish sausage must have been an Olympian.  I never saw him after the start of the race.

It was a great day.  For the end of July, it was comfortable.  Temps were in the 70s and while humidity was rising, a refreshing breeze helped, as did the 8 am start time.

This was my fourth run with the sausages.  The first time was 2015.  In 2017, the Brewers Community Foundation, which puts on the run/walk, announced the run t-shirt for the next five years would feature a different sausage.

After the run, Chorizo caught me.
7/27/2019
2017 #1 Bratwurst
2018 #2 Polish
2019 #3 Italian
2020 #4 Hot Dog
2021 #5 Chorizo

Three down, two to go.

As you know from my "collections" of covered bridges, lighthouses, and Buckys once I start, I want to finish it.

It was a huge crowd of runners this year - I was surrounded the entire route.

Maybe it helped, as I am satisfied with my time.  I finished in 29:15. 50th out of 194 in my age group. 369th out of 1,309 men.  525th overall, although I didn't see how many total runners were involved - based on the number of male entries and the crowd I'm guessing there were 2,500 - 3,000 runners.

Just after the race, I enjoyed the spoils of the run - bratwurst, chicken from sponsor Chick-Fil-A, and cold water.  I passed on the Miller Lite this year, but I bet it will taste good with a hot dog next year!

Comments