My Week That Was - July 13

The cheese selection is right out front in the quaint and cozy
street side store.  7/6/19 dwm photo
A cheese sandwich is what started lunch at Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern in 1931.

I ordered the Cheddar Cheese on a Kaiser Roll. They usually come on Rye Bread.

For a beverage, I chose the on-tap Blumer's Root Beer which is made in Monroe at the Minhas Brewery.

Minhas opened in 1845 as the Monroe Brewing Company.  Before the Minhas brothers bought it, the brewery belonged to  the Joseph Huber Brewing Company.

Cheddar Cheese on a Kaiser roll.
7/6/19 (dwm)
That's what it was during my childhood and beyond, all the way to 2006.

Ham and Cheddar.  (dwm)
The venerable brew house in downtown Monroe remains part of the city's fabric.  It's good to see and taste.  The Root Beer is excellent.

The sandwich is a revelation.

Grilling the cheese may have lost some flavor, but room-temperature cheese and the fresh bread created a symphony of taste.  For the second half of the sandwich, my wife offered some of her ham to the concert - it was grander.

Here's to the simple pleasures of life - the kind you find in the oldest cheese store in America's Dairyland.

Two "ghosts in the machine" stories this week:

On Sunday, I was completing the weekly chore of taking the trash and recycling cans to the curb.  As I put a new can liner in the large kitchen can, the garage door came down.

I looked around.  The door opener near the kitchen door hadn't been touched.  No one was in the vehicle inside the garage.  A minute or so later, it went up.  This got my attention.

I walked out to the driveway.  It went down, then rolled up.  This happened three or four more times with no apparent cause.  I went inside to flip the circuit breaker to the garage, but it went down and up again.  Finally, I grabbed a new D-cell battery for the exterior push-button opener and replaced the old battery.  The door finally stopped.

At work Tuesday, I sent a job to the printer down the hall specifically for the bypass tray.  That tray is used for letterhead.   The last time I used this printer for letterhead, I had to place the letterhead facing up with the top next to the printer.  It came out upside-down and backwards.  I loaded a second page, face down with the top pointing away from the machine.  It worked fine.

This was odd, because when I last loaded the bypass tray with letterhead face down and away, it came out backwards.  It was fine if I loaded the paper face up and the top next to the machine.

I can't figure out who or how that change is happening.  I don't really care which direction it is; I just want it to be consistent!!

I gave our interim CEO and his wife a ride
on the rickshaw Thursday.
Jeff Berry photo 7/11/19
Do you think its the same ghost for two machines?

Thursday was a spectacular day and perfect for a ride on the Oakwood rickshaw.

My usual schedule is to give rides once a month for folks in assisted living.  The last time, I ran into our current chief executive who is serving as our interim leader.  He hadn't seen the bikes before. 

He got a close look on Thursday, when I gave him and his wife a ride into the neighborhood across the street from Oakwood.  We chuckled when a man drove past us while taking pictures with his phone.

We saw him a couple more times, and we weren't sure what to make of it.  It turned out his dad was a former Oakwood resident and he was excited to see the bikes.

At the end of the ride, he got my attention, we talked, and he offered to share some of his photos (one is above left).

It was nice to hear his Oakwood story.

Sundance was the Music on Main in Verona Friday night
dwm photo 7/12/2019
While Friday was warmer, the humidity was still comfortable,

After work, we headed down to Hometown Junction for the free Music on Main.  It's an every other week event in downtown Verona.

Last night the band Sundance entertained with a nice mix of cover songs from the 50s, 60s, and 70s with some original songs.

There was a nice crowd (triple what's in the photo) on hand letting the music unspool the week's stress so we could slide into the weekend.

I hope your next week is fantastic!

Comments