Hilly and Humid

Sunrise over Madison. 6:19 am
7/13/2019 dwm photo
Last Saturday's forecast was hot and humid.  Since I was wanted to get a ride in, I decided to leave early to beat the heat.

I partially succeeded.  It was 67 when I got on my bike a little after 6.  It was 83 when I returned home at 9:30 am.

The prime goal was to get some hills under my wheels to gauge my fitness level when it comes to climbing.

Skies were clear with wispy Cirrus clouds high overhead.  The sun had been up a while by the time I got on my bike, but there were a lot of shadows yet to vanish.

My camera was tucked in the bike bag just in case, but I was focused more on moving than shooting.  When I started north on a section of the Ice Age Trail which climbs some of the terminal moraine left by the glaciers, I noticed the sun over the trees and prairie.

Just a minute, I thought, stopped the bike and reached for the camera.  It was a good thought, but for a different reason.  In the shadows created by the edge of the forest, there was a small swarm of mosquitoes buzzing around my face within seconds of coming to a halt.  I took two pictures and escaped.

Downtown Waunakee outside
Kwik Trip.  7/13/19 dwm photo
Instead of sticking with another bike path, I turned left to climb three hills on Midtown and High Point Roads.  Then a couple hills on Gammon Road; County Road M in Middleton; and County Road Q south of Waunakee.

In the uniquely named community north of Madison I was hoping to find a cafe for breakfast.  There either isn't one, or I missed it, so I grabbed a Fruit Smoothie and peanut butter on crackers for a fuel injection at Kwik Trip.  I appreciated their picnic table near the bike rack.

Leaving the store with a bit of brain freeze and a refilled water bottle, I rode side streets before turning south onto County Q.

You may be hard-pressed to find any big fans of humidity when it comes to weather.  In the summer it can make a sunny, 80 degree day downright oppressive.  During winter, too little humidity is the main reason folks in colder climates need cream for their dry, itchy skin.

It is easier for me to start things early when its going to be hot and humid.  Psychologically, it feels more gradual than walking out of the house in the afternoon and feeling outdoor plans collapse under the weight of a 70 degree dew point temperature.

A pedestrian bridge over the Sugar River on a section of the
Ice Age Trail in Verona.  7/13/19 dwm photo
You have to pay attention to the heat and humidity, or it makes you pay.  For me, that means lots of water and eating regularly throughout the day - especially if riding or doing something strenuous.

The hills gave me time to think about a big ride next month and what formula I could use for the 135 miles slated for day one.

By the end of this ride, and considering my riding history, my goal is to go at least 25 miles every two hours or less (preferably less).

The Ride starts at 5:30 in the morning.  I have 5 25-mile sections and a 10 mile finish - stay on target and that's 12 hours on the bike.  Throw in stops for food, stretching, and photos - I hope it is realistic to shoot for a 13 hour riding day.

But, to paraphrase Mike Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until they have to climb their first big hill."

Comments