A Few of My Favorites

Thompson's Mill Bridge, Illinois
5/26/2019 dwm photo
It's been two weeks since my last bridge blog, and I want to revisit some.

I'm in the process of putting a PowerPoint presentation together on covered bridges in the upper Midwest.  It involves selecting representative bridges and others with interesting stories.

It's fun re-living the trips across Indiana and other parts of the Midwest the last ten years.

The Thompson Mill Bridge (left) joined the collection in May.

As I look at the forest behind the bridge, I imagined trees adorned in the brilliant colors of autumn.  Preserving the bridge in its original location on the route from Effingham to Springfield, Illinois allows viewers the same vicarious experience as those early passengers.



Langley Bridge, Michigan       5/17/2018   dwm photo
In the presentation, I'm trying to highlight unusual bridges (remember the Aqueduct?); bridges which were hard to find (Homer); and disappearing (Seal).
Beside that, I want to share some of the pretty bridges I captured and the unusual stories associated with some of them.

The Langley (right) in Michigan has an interesting tale to tell about its location.  It never moved, but a dam built downstream raised the water so much additional measures were taken to preserve the bridge.

Phillips Bridge, Parke County, Indiana  7/3/2009 dwm photo
The Phillips Bridge (left) is a favorite for several reasons.

One is a picture (seen in earlier blogs) with a pretty yellow flower in focus near the camera with the fuzzy bridge in the background.

I like it because it's short, just 43 feet.

It has a seemingly simple job, cross a stream.  The stream is so narrow, it isn't a big deal, but no horse-drawn wagon could cross the stream bed without it.

Stockheughter Bridge 6/24/2011 dwm photo
The Stockheughter Bridge is special because of the angle I was able to use for the photo (right).

A small rock ledge was inches above the water where I could kneel.

Balancing the camera just above the stream, I captured the rushing water downstream.

Honestly, I have a lot more than four favorite bridges.  That's probably one reason I continue to seek them out, camera in tow.

By my count, there are only 17 bridges left to collect.  11 in Iowa, 3 in Michigan, 1 in Illinois, and a brand new ones in Indiana and Michigan.  I expect to find more favorites.

Comments