Running for a Cause

This man ran in the course in full
turn-out gear. 6/15/19 dwm photo
When I heard that the "Race for Research" to support the University Hospital's Carbone Cancer Center would be on the Thomas Zimmer Championship Course - I was very interested.

Last November, I volunteered at the NCAA Division One Cross Country Championship races held on the same course.

A Wisconsin runner, Morgan McDonald, won it 29:08 while running 10 kilometers.  I ran the 5K in 33:12 , so he would have lapped me, maybe twice.

It is hard to tell from here, but this was the biggest climb
on the course.  6/15/2019 dwm photo

The first thing I noticed about this run compared to other races I've done is that it was quiet.  Which makes sense since we ran the entire distance on a beautiful lawn course.

The first mile I felt good.  Mile two is when the course said "Hello,"

As the trail disappeared into the trees a gentle rise began.  It continued, climbing gradually for a very long way, maybe an 1/8th of a mile or  more.

My mantra during much of the run, thanks to this hill, "I'm not going fast, but I'm not going to stop."

Hundreds turned out for the
Run/Walk.  6/15/2019 (dwm)
Just a moment, I didn't mean stop... I meant walk.  Except for about 15 seconds at the top of a hill.  Which was before I came up with the mantra in the last paragraph.

It's amazing how my brain works while running, isn't it?

The Race for Research was very well organized.  During the  pre race program, speakers shared news about cancer research and treatment.

The final speaker was a cancer survivor who is in her second remission.  She spoke clearly about her experience in a clear and direct style her belief that she wouldn't have been standing before the large crowd without the combined expertise of the men and women at the Carbone Cancer Center.
After catching my breathe it was
time for a race selfie. 6/15/19 (dwm)

It was an impressive presentation made more impactful by the large number of runners and walkers wearing shirts with the word "Survivor" in big black letters on their back.  There were a lot of those shirts, young, old and in between; walking testimonials for the results and need to keep searching for a cure.

It was a great and beautiful day which turned cloudy and cooler just a few hours later.  Because of the course's difficulty, I felt good about my time too.

The race sponsors provided a nice goodie bag for participants.

American Family Insurance was a primary sponsor of the run and the upcoming Professional Golfers Association Champions Tour event on the University of Wisconsin course this weekend.  In the bag was a complimentary ticket - I hope to use it.

Full disclosure - here's the tale of the tape:
Overall finish 190th out of 330 runners
Finished 18 out of 26 men, aged 50 - 59
Finished 130 our of 178 men
Time   33:12    Pace  10:41/mile

Comments