My Week That Was - June 22

A great view of the Wisconsin Capitol from Olin Park
6/16/2019 dwm photo
The week started bright and warm last Saturday with the Race for Research at 10 am. By mid-afternoon, the wind changed, dropping temperatures 20 degrees and covering the sky with clouds.

It was the same Sunday.  After church and after breakfast at the Prairie Cafe in Middleton, I was able to get out and ride.

Even at 20 past 1 in the afternoon, it was only 60 degrees (below photo) - significantly below average for June 16th.  But for the ride it was great once my blood got moving.

Just past the ride's half-way point, it
was still cool. (dwm)
My mistake was leaving my sunglasses behind.  Since it was cloudy, I didn't need them because it was too bright.  It turned out, though, that I needed eye protection.  At the end of the 41 mile jaunt, my eyeballs looked like a map with lots of bright red lines.

Just what could be the trouble?  After removing my contacts, I looked closer and didn't detect any foreign object.  However, the next morning it occurred to me... airborne pollen peppered my face and the eyes paid the price.

A Sandhill Crane just
feet from the Lower
Yahara Trail. 6/16/19
dwm photo
Thankfully, after a good night's rest, my eyes were back to normal Monday.

It was a good thing I could see clearly because it was one of the busiest days I've had in weeks with six donor visits.

Tuesday was another hectic day.  A breakfast meeting and a lunch meeting before two donor visits in the afternoon.  After each visit, there are notes to write and a thank you to write, so each visit can take 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on its depth.

This is something I didn't do well early in my career.  Those notes are invaluable since there is no way to remember the name of someone's dog or recall something important they told me.  Those details are a big deal.

Thursday, I gave my Biking to Bucky on Parade presentation again, this time at the Monona Senior Center.  In the crowd were three people who got to all 85 statues and another who reached 83 of them.  It was a fun group to talk to and they had great comments and questions.

Yesterday I walked in to Brandon Eyes - where I get my eyes examined.  Judit, who works the desk and does the initial exams, recognized me and asked if I was there to get my contacts.  "Actually, I'm here for cookies and ice cream, but I'll get my lenses too, thanks," was my reply.

She handed me an ice cream scoop, which is when I learned that ice cream wasn't just ice cream sandwiches or soft-serve.  Inside a freezer were two gallon containers, one vanilla and the other a chocolate chip salted carmel combination.

On the counter under glass were fresh chocolate chip cookies!

I've been a customer for six years because of the good care and friendly service, I think I'll stay for the cookies and ice cream!

I hope you have a great week!

Comments