First Big Ride

Uh, oh - one of the last things a biker
wants to see after turning onto a
new street. 6/8/19 dwm photo
Since moving to Madison nearly 7 years ago, one of my favorite long rides is out to Sun Prairie, around the north side of Lake Mendota, and home. It clicks the odometer for 60 miles.

The ride is a mix of trails and streets with an idea in my head about where to return, but with room to improvise.

My home is little more than a mile from a path which connects to a state trail.  That trail connects to three more, which is where I headed down the Cannonball run where I got on Seminole Highway (not an actual highway).

Jumping on it, took me past the Arboretum, on to Nakoma, which became Monroe Street.  Monroe ends at Camp Randall Stadium, which is where I joined the Southwest Commuter Trail.

I followed it until a sign changed my path where I rode around Monona Bay (photo below).  There I joined a lot of riders on the Capital City Trail through downtown.

The homes located next to Monona Bay are on quiet streets
with an exceptional view. 6/8/2019 (dwm)
That landed me on the far east side of Madison where I rode up Cottage Grove Road.

I was catching another biker and about to say, "on your left" as I passed him, when he started to move left.  I swung to the right to pass and he yelled that I messed him up.

"Sorry," I said, not sure what I could have done.  Traffic was still light at the time and he made it to the left turn lane as I rode uphill.

From there, it was north on a road which changed names a couple of times until reaching Sun Prairie.  My destination, a Kwik Trip where I could rest, put on sun screen, buy a candy bar (Twix Creamy Peanut Butter), and refill my water bottle.

This "lighthouse" isn't one for my
collection. It stands near the Mariner's
Cove apartments near Lake Mendota.
6/8/2019  dwm photo
On the ride home, I rode farther north to circle around Lake Mendota.  I encountered the sign (above left) when I turned on Knutson Road.  It had received many loads of gravel after being oiled and the gravel was in sand-like waves.  Those conditions continued as I went on a different street, slowing me down for safety.

The day was spectacular.  I passed a lot of folks out on their bikes, on a run, or a walk.  That's what happens when it is one of the first warm days of summer.

As I drove through Middleton I rode through the Pheasant Branch Conservancy.

It is a beautiful place, but in early recovery after severe flooding last summer washed out hillsides, bridges, and trees.

The bridges were back, but the immense power of water left a  permanent mark.

The new cliff (rear) did
not exist before the flood.
6/8/19 (dwm)
I saw large piles of sand lining the damaged path and dozens of downed trees.

It will be interesting to monitor its progress.

It was a very good first ride.  My goal was to cover a good distance at a fairly high average speed.  While the road wasn't hilly, there were decent challenges along the way, including a steep incline in the last ten miles.

I just missed my goal, but figure that stretch of loose gravel was the reason.

As it was, I was happy with an average of 14.6 miles per hour for 61 miles.

That's a nice ride... can't wait for the next one.

Comments