Did You Know?

Anne Sward starred on "As
the World Turns" on CBS
from 1980-1993 and 2000.
(internet image)
During my time in South Dakota as a reporter-photographer for KELO-TV News, I covered a wide variety of stories.

But the main topics revolved around agriculture, politics, weather, and the reservations in the central section of the state.

KELO was a CBS affiliate.  That meant we aired the program, "As the World Turns." The long-running soap was broadcast from 1956 to 2010, after it had been on the radio for a number of years.

Anne Sward was one of the show's stars with a 13 year run as Lyla Montgomery.  I was barely aware of those details when I met her one summer day on the Rosebud Reservation.

Sward came to the Reservation with gifts for Native American children and to support of the Tribal college.  Because she was star on a show our station aired, I was assigned to report on her visit and get an interview.

I don't remember a lot of that day, but I recall how nice and friendly she was and that she was glamorous in a girl next door sort of way.  It was obvious the visit wasn't for show, but an issue she took seriously.

That brief meeting, quite literally, was a brush with fame.

Comments