My Week That Was - May 18

My "Kindle Hack" that allows me to easily watch the
Brewers when something is else on the primary TV!
Notice the binder clip on the lower right of the picture.
5/13/2019 dwm photo
My week started like the previous one when my office was out of order.  The phone was blank and the desktop computer wouldn't connect to any network.

Just two calls later placed to our Information Technology support team... I still had no connection to the internet and couldn't make a call.  At two in the afternoon I ran into an I.T. person on campus who had time to look at the problem.

It was fixed in a couple minutes!

Later, I picked up my Kindle and noticed something that had occurred to me a few weeks ago when I wanted to watch two games.

You can't balance a Kindle on its side; leaning it against something wasn't effective either.  That's when I thought about the binder clips upstairs in my desk.  The clip holds the device and its two arms provide enough stability for it to balance on the arm of a chair.  I don't think this is an original idea - but I don't recall seeing it elsewhere either.  Use it if you can, with my compliments.

Last Saturday, I went shopping for plants.  Inspired by the talk at the Verona Library about creating habitat for butterflies, that's what I wanted.

The line into the UW Arboretum
native plant sale. 5/11/19 (dwm)
Who knew it was a big deal for other folks, too!

After standing in line at the Verona High School to buy a few Hosta plants from the Future Farmers of America - I drove the Arboretum to find some native plants that would attract the flying stained glass windows.

I didn't expect a line to get in the tent and an even bigger line to check out.  That marks me as a newbie, I guess.  It is quite popular and I felt thankful to grab some Wild Petunias, Brown-eyed Susans, and a Sky Blue Aster.

After I got home, I planted the five into a large pot with fresh dirt and hope for the best.  Whether it works or not, there is likely a future blog in its future.

Midweek was busy.  There was a donor dinner Tuesday evening to thank supporters for their faithful and generous gifts.  Wednesday morning came early, with a 6 am mandatory education session on workplace violence and safety.  It was lead by a former deputy sheriff and police instructor.  It was interesting and eye-opening in terms of what everyone needs to be looking for and ways we can protect ourselves and each other.

Just a few hours later, it was time for another pizza party - for 3rd floor residents.  There was a nice turnout, and the owner of the Sun Prairie Pizza Pit delivered the food.

It was a very hectic week.  A second pizza bash in two days plus an Association meeting were good, but required time I usually spend doing other work-related tasks.  There wasn't enough time Friday to make it up, but by the of the week things were at least in good enough shape to say good-bye with a minimal amount of work to take home.

Last night, the Milwaukee Bucks continued their run through the NBA play-offs - now just a few wins from qualifying for the NBA Championship series.  I've been a fan a very long time - I'd be pretty excited to watch them play for the title.

You can't re-live something that happened when you were 8 years old, but I am really appreciating this ride.  Go Bucks!

Have a very good week.

Comments