My Week that Was - May 11

Banner for the annual Library run in Verona. 5/3/2019 (dwm)
My week started with a run for the library.  A feature of the race are quotes from books chalked on city streets and fixed to signs along a path over the last mile.

Joining a small group near the start, five minutes before the race started, I chatted with a couple runners while wondering if I was too close to the front.

I ran better than 2018.  Last year, I had to take a couple short walks during the race.  This year I kept going.  I met my goal of finishing inside a half-hour with a time of 29:27.  That was good for second place in my age group, "Really old guys."

Less you worry, the finish didn't go to my head.  The age-group winner finished seven minutes in front of me - which at his pace meant he was done about the time I passed the second mile marker.  It was a good day, a fun run, and there was frozen yogurt at the end... works for me.

You ever get the feeling someone's been messing with your stuff?  It looked that way when I got to my office Monday morning.  Stuff was re-arranged on top of the desk and when in the top drawer was stuff that didn't belong to me.

Apparently someone needed a desk on one of the days when I was on the west campus.  I have no problem with that.  However, using a desk to work isn't the same as using it for storage.  There was a conversation about the misunderstanding and I discovered keys that lock the drawers.

This week I applied to renew my CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) credential.  The next day I was told my application was being audited and I needed to supply extra documents for several sections of the application to verify nearly 40 hours of continuing education.

The Sauk Prairie Recreation Area is slowly replacing the
grounds of the Badger Ordinance Works. 5/9/19 (dwm)
The organization audits one of every ten applications - and I was the lucky one.  After spending time looking for supportive documents I think I have what they want.  But before I go down that road, more checking is needed.

Thursday, I joined a bus of Oakwood residents for a visit to the former Badger Ordinance Works.  It was closed and deconstructed years ago.  Now it is slowly returning to its natural state - which, ironically, take a whole lot of human involvement.

While I've written about the Badger Ammunition Plant before - this trip added more information to the mix.  Come back for more on Tuesday.

"I am Bucky" on parade.  6/29/2018
dwm photo
Friday, I got the opportunity to take 23 people along on a virtual ride to see the Bucky Badger statues again.  This was my sixth time talking about the University of Wisconsin mascot and the nine rides around Dane County to find him.

I enjoy the experience; in fact, I look forward to the talks.  Perhaps because each presentation is an opportunity to refine it and share items about Bucky they are likely to remember a while.

There is one more on the calendar then I suspect the Bucky parade will be followed by the street sweeper.

I enjoyed my week and the next one looks busy - I hope your week is awesome.

Comments