Brush with Fame - South Dakota Olympians

Billy Mills (USA) won the 1964
10,000 meter event. (internet image)
The 1988 Summer Olympics were in Seoul, South Korea while I was a reporter for KELO-land TV from my Pierre, South Dakota bureau office.

The state's most famous Olympian was Billy Mills.

He won gold at the 1964 Olympic Summer Games in the 10,000 meters.  Mills is still the only person from the Western Hemisphere to win the event.

But he did more than win.  He came from behind on the final lap to beat the favorite and set a personal best,

I am too young to remember the 1964 Olympics.  Mills did a number of things in the state, including motivational speaking and it was there I saw the highlights of his race and interviewed him for a story.

Mills is a member of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, a Marine, and world class athlete.  Even 25 years after his biggest moment Mills was busy making a difference in the state.  I interviewed him at least one other time during my time with KELO; he was cordial, patient, and kind.
Jim Scherr wrestled in the
1988 Olympics. (internet image)

In an Olympic year, athletes compete to represent their country.  It's a  rare honor.

That year, two young men made the wrestling team.  They were from the same small town and the same family - twin brothers Jim and Bill Scherr.

Jim competed in the Olympics at 198 pounds, finishing fifth.  He later lead the U.S. Olympic Committee as its chief executive officer.

Bill Scherr also wrestled in
the 1988 Olympics. (internet image)
Brother Bill was world champion at 198, but moved up to 220 pounds in the Olympics, earning the Bronze.

Before they took off for Seoul, their hometown of Mobridge, South Dakota threw them a parade.  It was my job to cover the parade, but before it started, I interviewed the pair at the family home.

I remember them as nervous and excited about the hometown honor and expectation of competing in the Olympics.  It was an exciting day - one I'm sure they; their community; and I will always remember.

Comments