The Last Four

2019 Final Four logo (internet image)
University of Virginia
versus
Auburn University

Texas Tech University
versus
Michigan State University

Cavaliers - Tigers

Red Raiders - Spartans

The only team I had playing this weekend was Michigan State. 

I thought it would be Sparty joined by Gonzaga, Purdue, and Kentucky.  I thought the Zags would win it all.

That bracket is in the trash.

So let's start over.  I think both semi-finals will be close.  I think Tony Bennett's Virginia team has a battle on its hands.  Auburn has been on fire - they beat New Mexico State by one (I picked the Lobos), then beat blue-bloods Kansas in round two; North Carolina in the Sweet Sixteen; then conference rival Kentucky in the Regional Final.

That is one of the most difficult paths to the championship you can find.  If they get the shining moment Monday night, they earned it.  However, they lost a key player to injury near the end of the Kentucky game.

Virginia was the first top-seed to lose to a 16-seed in last year's tournament.  They returned and are the last top seed left in the tournament.  I think they get to Monday night. 

On the other side of the bracket, it shapes up as a defensive game.  Texas Tech has shut down teams all year - including Michigan in the Sweet Sixteen and left no doubt who was better in eliminating my pick Gonzaga in the Regional Final.

Michigan State is the best team in the B1G conference.  They have a coach who won it all once before and traditionally has teams who play both offense and defense. 

It won't surprise me if this game ends in the 50s instead of the 70s.

Which brings us to the title game, Virginia v Michigan State.

When they turn out the lights - I think Virginia is the team cutting down the nets as the champion.

Comments