My Week That Was - April 13

One of the many movable shelves built in Fort Atkinson
by the Spacesaver Corporation.  4/6/2019   dwm photo
There are thousands of innovations and designs that improve lives each day.  We are mostly unaware of their origin.

When I toured the new State Archive and Preservation Facility last week, I was happy to see Spacesaver shelves, drawers, and walls in use.

The company was started by Theodore Batterman in a 10,000 square foot barn in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin according to the company website.

Mr. Batterman was a member of the church where I grew up.  His children went to the same school.  I was on the same basketball team with one of his sons in 1980.

I remember my dad talking about Mr. Batterman's idea and new company called Spacesaver.  The big concept was to put library shelves on tracks to slide.  The idea was to save space in crowded libraries.

The company solves a variety of storage issues across the globe - from weapons to athletic equipment.  It is very successful.  I've seen its products before - and proud to see them taking care of state treasures in Wisconsin's attic.

Monday night the NCAA tourney came to a close.  While my first bracket didn't work - the final fore-cast picked Virginia to win it all.

It was an exciting path with close victories in the semi-final and championship games.  I'm happy for Tony Bennett, coach of the Cavaliers.  He grew up in Green Bay - played on the UW Green Bay team under his dad, Dick Bennett.  Then was on Dick's coaching staff after playing in the NBA a few years.  While I've never met Tony or Dick - they are easy to root for and I'm glad to see them win.
#MerryChristmas   April 10, 2019  dwm photo

Wednesday, winter returned.  Around Madison we got a little more than a dusting, but it melted on hitting the pavement.

A few drivers who already lost their winter driving skills ran into trouble,   My trip across the belt line was uneventful, but top speed was 25 miles an hour for much of the trip.

That turned out to be all we got around here.  Further north and to the west, there was a lot more snow.

Wednesday and Thursday the common greeting around work was asking "Did you enjoy your summer?" (last Monday).

Friday morning it was time for my regular visit to the American Red Cross.  It's never pain-free, but it was pretty close.  Very thankful for the excellent job by Terry who did the tough work.

Then last night we went to the Varsity Band Concert for the 45th and final time under director Michael Leckrone.  He is retiring from the University of Wisconsin at the end of the academic year.  I'll have more on the show coming soon.

Comments