My Brush with Famous - Pro Golfers

Arnold Palmer   (internet image)
It's Sunday at The Master's - the unofficial start of spring for folks in snowy climates.

While we thaw and wait for flowers to come, we see Azaleas and Dogwood in bloom as the professionals try to to make it around the Augusta course in as few strokes as possible.

My golf experience is limited to agency outings while I sold insurance and investments for Aid Association for Lutherans.

Just watch golf?  I did it a few times in my career as a TV reporter/photographer and met some interesting people.

Arnold Palmer was part of a special Pro-Am event in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin while I was with WISC-TV, Madison.  Our sports anchor was in Palmer's group and it was my job to get video.

At the first tee, there was a large crowd gathered to see Arnie.  When our guy teed off - people scrambled out of the way.

Tom Byrum (internet image)
My wife's aunt was a huge Arnold Palmer fan.  After he tapped in a birdie putt, I quickly and quietly introduced myself, apologized for the intrusion, and asked if he might be willing to sign a scorecard.  He was gracious and friendly and quickly signed his name.  It was a nice moment.

Just a few years earlier I worked in South Dakota in the Capital bureau in Pierre.  There was a rural community 30 miles north east called Oneida - home of two pro golfers.

Curt and Tom Byrum famously learned the game on the gravel "greens" of their local course.  Both played college golf in New Mexico.
Curt Byrum (internet image)

Older brother Curt turned pro in 1982; Tom in 1984.

Each earned a victory on the PGA Tour - in 1989.  Tom won the Kemper Open in June, while Curt won the Hardee's Golf Classic a month later.

I never met either man.  I met their parents.  KELO-TV sent me to the Byrum family home in Oneida on Sunday afternoon to shoot video of the them watching and rooting for their son to win.

Afterwards, I did a short interview with the family, then hustled back to Pierre to write the story and send the video in to the station.

It's not much of a brush with fame.  I guess in this case I missed brush with the Byrums by a long shot, but still treasure the memories.

Comments