My Week That Was - March 9

Monk's - Sun Prairie   3/2/2019  dwm photo
Last Saturday was a memorial service for a donor and resident of Oakwood I've known since shortly after I joined the Foundation.

She was a first generation American and Navy Veteran.  She was a wife, mother,  grandmother, and writer.  I will miss her.

After the service, we headed to Monk's to catch the Wisconsin Badger basketball game.  My wife shopped after lunch while I enjoyed a Coke/Diet Coke combination during the game.

Monday was a record setting day.  Madison's all-time low temperature since weather records were kept was -9 on March 4, 1884.  It was -10 at 7 am on March 4, 2019.  Yay for us!

Just 24 hours later it was nearly 20 degrees warmer - which sounds great until I explain that made it 10 above zero.  10 above is still pretty chilly for March 5.

Tuesday evening I had my first official Oakwood speaking gig.  Our Marketing department shares the names of employees and their topics to groups in the community who are willing to come out and speak.  Some employees talk about ways to improve the health of your brain.

Waunakee Public Library   3/5/2019 (dwm) 
Me?  I talked about Bucky Badger.  I spoke in a cozy room on the lower level of the Waunakee Public Library as we "rode" across Dane County to see the various versions of the mascot for the flagship university.

Just a touch worried ten minutes before it was scheduled to start, the room was empty.  I was relieved and grateful to see a nice crowd brave the cold to see 85 Buckys on Parade.

It was fun.  They seemed interested.  They asked questions.  Several hung around afterwards to talk more about Bucky Badger.  On a cold night, it was a warm group of new friends... thanks to Courtney at the Waunakee Public Library for the opportunity and Beth, a colleague at Oakwood, who suggested I get out there and banter about badgers.

Wednesday was the start of Lent.  Our church is focusing on the season with an interesting approach by asking the question, "What Would Jesus Undo?"  WWJU wrist bands were handed to members - who are encouraged to wear them through Easter - six weeks from now.

The undo speaks to what Jesus would like to remove from the world.  Death -  was the first on the list to be removed.  It entered the world through sin - the consequence erased by Jesus' death on the cross.

Yesterday, just before leaving work I noticed a campus-wide email asking for somebody to carry something from the west campus to the east by Monday.  Since I was driving there on Monday, I replied I could do it.

It was a guitar.  A new rehab patient wanted a guitar to play for others on his floor.

As long as I don't forget to put it back in the car Monday morning, it's a done deal.

I hope your week didn't string you along.  Make this week a great one... spring is coming.

Comments