Bungled Brackets

My original forecast.
By the end of the First Round on Friday night - there were 9 perfect brackets out of 17.2 million in ESPN's tournament challenge.

Mine was not one of them.

I had 20 correct choices out of 32.

Saturday was the first day of the second round - I got 7 of 8.

Sunday I got four of the five teams right that were still alive in my bracket (right).

My still Sweet 16: Duke, LSU, Michigan State; Gonzaga, Fla State, Michigan; Virginia, Purdue, Tennessee; North Carolina and Kentucky.

That list includes 7 of my Elite Eight predictions and my last four standing.

There are no Cinderellas left at the dance.  Every team is from a big conference.  Oregon is a 12 seed, but coming from the Pac 12 - they don't fit the slipper.

The opening weekend is all about the upsets - the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight matches are usually about the Blue Bloods.

Keeping that in mind, I am stubbornly holding with my picks for the coming weekend:

In the East, Duke and Michigan State will battle it out for a trip to Minneapolis and I'll go with the plucky Spartans to halt the Blue Devils.

In the Midwest, I see Kentucky escaping North Carolina, and in the South, I will stick with my pick of the Purdue Boilermakers

Out West, Gonzaga still looks good to me as my choice to take home the title.

We'll see what happens next.

Comments