My Week That Was - Feb 9

Water tank and pump near the Grapevine,
Texas train station. 2/3/19 dwm photo
My week started where the last one finished, in Texas.  It didn't feel like Saturday though, with a full day of conference break-out session and keynote speeches.

Just after 5, we went to eat and I was surprised by the number of people watching what I was sure was a taped basketball game on the big screen in the restaurant.  It took my 15 minutes or more before I realized it wasn't Friday anymore!

After a Sunday morning concluding conference session at 8 came the closing service.  I like wrapping up the four days that way.  Travel arrangements mean many folks can't be there as they rush to the catch their flight back home.

I arranged for an extra night to extend our stay and see a little bit of the area.

This is North Texas, which includes Dallas - Fort Worth and the surrounding area, including former frontier towns like Grapevine.

After the conference closed, we grabbed a ride on a shuttle to take in Grapevine's Main Street.  We shopped a bit; enjoyed an amazing lunch and out of this world dessert (upcoming blog posts); and took pictures.

I can't imagine ever wanting to exclude winter from my life, but I'll freely admit walking the street in shirt sleeves and 72 degrees (above zero) was really nice.

Monday was our final day in Texas.  We lazed around the spectacular resort hotel until getting a ride to airport for our flight.

The next morning was kind of tough, but after another night's sleep I felt close to normal.  It was a busy week at the office - unpacking stuff from the conference to find ways we can apply the ideas into action.

Then came the weather.  Wednesday evening was forecast to bring freezing rain and snow to the area; a lot of schools responded by closing.   I went home with a case of stuff to work on at home if necessary, but the next morning I had no trouble driving to the gym so it was off to the office.

Mid-afternoon seemed to be height of the winter storm with freezing rain layering ice on the sidewalks and parking lot, so I grabbed a stack of greeting cards to write and went home early.  About an hour later, the clouds parted and the sun came out.  I guess we survived the latest winter storm.

Friday was my 105th time giving blood - it went very well.  My favorite phlebotomist wasn't there, but my concerns were easily handled by a newer "professional poker."  Pain was minimal and all went smoothly.  The local Panera donates day old pastries to the Red Cross on Fridays.  Blood donors get to choose what to take home - that's a nice thing for Panera to do. 

By the way, winter is usually when there are blood shortages - especially where the weather turns bad.  There is an urgent need, please consider rolling up your sleeve, besides, giving blood is a good way to start your week! 

Comments