My Week That Was - Feb 2

Wisconsin River - Prairie du Sac, WI  1/26/19 dwm photo
The week started cold and got colder as the days passed.

Last Saturday it was -15 when I drove to the gym for my daily workout.  We waited until it warmed up... to -9 to drive north to Sauk Prairie to look for eagles.

100 or more Bald Eagles are known to winter in the area because open water below the hydroelectric dam gives them access to fish in the Wisconsin River.

As the eagle population recovers, sightings are common around the area.  I think the deep cold may have affected their activity, I saw a pair of Bald Eagles in flight plus two in a tree on an island in the river.

A Bald Eagle in a tall tree looking for breakfast.
1/26/2019   dwm photo
The open water of the river was an artist that day.  The frigid air over the water (which was 40 degrees warmer than the air temperature) created a foggy mist which instantly coated tree branches in a spectacular frost.

There will be more on the eagles in Sunday's blog and an appearance by a special guest.

While in Sauk City, we enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the Sauk Prairie Grill.  I ordered half of a hot-beef sandwich which was incredible.

The hot beef is a plate with mashed potatoes and hot beef between two slices of bread, all covered with gravy.  It was the ultimate comfort food on a very cold day.  The Sauk Prairie Grill's version was just right and I'm thankful I went with the half-order.

This week at work we hosted a small get-together with donors.  In an effort to get people talking, we've been using fun ice-breaker questions at these events with positive results.

How would you answer these?

Q:  If  a movie is made of your life - what kind will it be: Romantic Comedy; Action; Drama; Science Fiction; of Comedy?

While I think several of these apply, as I glance back through the decades I think I'd have to go with comedy.

Q:  What's the weirdest thing you ever ate?

The beauty of this question is it is very relative - one person's weird is somebody else's favorite dish.  Because of that, for me it's nearly a tie between sushi I ate in Panama City, Panama and a Pecan Pie in Cadott, Wisconsin. 

Oh, I know the pie isn't weird - until I explain that I generally avoid nuts at all costs and had never eaten pecans or a pecan pie.  I made it through half before telling my insurance clients who made it especially for me that I really couldn't eat any more.

While extreme cold closed schools and even shut down state government and the University of Wisconsin Wednesday - it was still time to go to work.  But not long, as there was a plane to catch for a four day development conference - ALDE's Ignite - more on that in the days to come.

First, a quick story about the flight - Wednesday was very cold -25 actual temperature when we loaded the plane.  After everyone was on board and the usual things readied, we were pushed out from the jet-way by one of those tarmac tractors.  Then we sat.  And sat.  And sat.

Finally, the pilot comes on the loudspeaker announcing that the tractor's attachment to the front wheel of the plane is frozen and they believe the pressure caused by the full plane was  factor.  He asked first class passengers to get up and move to the back of the plane to relieve the pressure.

I think it may have been a pilot prank; maybe not, but either way the rest of us on the plane (and a few folks in first class) were chuckling about the move.  After a half-hour we were free of the tractor and took off. 

Have a great week!

Comments