In the Heart of Texas

No need to mess with
Texas BBQ! 1/31/2019
dwm photo
Last week Wisconsin and much of the upper Midwest was in a deep freeze.  I was right there with 'em until boarding a plane Wednesday afternoon (see that story in My Week That Was - Feb 2).

We landed in Dallas, Texas around 4 in the afternoon and our first breath of fresh air came as we left the Dallas Fort Worth Airport Terminal.  It was 70 degrees warmer than when we left Madison.

I knew we might experience this kind of positive weather switch.  Which is why we left our winter coats, gloves, and hats in the car back in the parking garage and arrived wearing only sweaters.

The heart of the conference started Thursday afternoon, so I took my first Uber rides down to see Jerry's World - otherwise known as AT&T Stadium - home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Lunch - BBQ Brisket, Smoked Baked
Beans, and 2 slices of white bread.
1/31/2019  dwm photo
More on that to come, but I first I want to tell you about another first - a close encounter with bar-b-que brisket.  I had lunch at Lockhart's Smokehouse located across from Globe Life Park where the Texas Rangers play baseball and maybe a half mile walk from the Cowboys' home field.

Just the basics is what the smoke-master recommended for my bite, so I left off the sauce.  He sliced a quarter pound off the larger brisket and wrapped it in butcher paper.  He put two slices of white bread on top of that paper and wrapped it around one more time.

Lockhart's Smokehouse at
Texas Live! 1/31/2019 dwm photo
I went half - n - half with some Sweet/Un-sweet Tea to go with it.

The bread, no butter needed, helps mop up some sauce and absorb some of the heat on the somewhat spicy baked beans.

The brisket was amazing - it practically melted in my mouth.  The "burnt ends" may be the best single thing I've ever had.

My life is richer because of that brisket, YUM!

Comments