My Week That Was - Jan 12

Mid-afternoon walking on the Military Ridge Trail.
Temperature 52. 1/5/2019  dwm photo
After getting our first real snow of the winter, it shouldn't be surprising that less than a week later it was melting.

In the middle of a long cold stretch, getting an unexpected warm day (whether it is in the 40s or 50s) is one of the nicest things to happen in winter.

When we lived in South Dakota, they talked about the "snow-eater" weather system.

We may have had weeks of snow, wind, and cold - but each winter at some point in January or February there would be 3 - 5 days of exceptional warmth.  Those days helped us get through the final five weeks of a South Dakota winter.

I couldn't stay inside with a bright sun in the sky and lots of red in the thermometer, so I grabbed my camera and headed outside.

The Bald Eagle is roosting high above the water, just left
of center.  1/5/2019 dwm photo
The Military Ridge trail is paved between Verona and Madison, so even with the melting the footing was good.  I decided to walk as far as a large pond.

When I got there a flash of white caught my eye.  It was the head of a Bald Eagle perched high above the water.  It was close to two football fields away, so I tried to create a stable platform for the shot.

There was no easy way to get close, so I walked the trail looking for a better angle while hoping the majestic bird would take off.  He or she never did.

I'm hoping for cold weather soon because it gets the eagles roosting together near the Sauk Prairie dam.  Ever since we moved here, I've made the trip once a winter - when it happens, I'll share it here.

Monday afternoon I misplaced my office keys.  Unfortunately, I didn't notice they were missing until Tuesday morning.  I did a quick check of the house, in my closet, and in the car.  I checked with my colleague I share the Monday office with - no luck there either.

Just no sign of the keys and replaying the day in my head left me feeling frustrated and upset - how can I lose track of my keys?  I recall having them in my hand an hour before I left for the day Monday late afternoon.

Apparently, I didn't place them on the carabiner where I keep my office, home, and car keys.  Or did the keys made a leap for freedom when I wasn't looking.  The only thing I know for sure is that they will be in the last place I look!

Wednesday evening we went to a concert by the Oakwood Chorus called "Dancing in the New Year."  It was wonderful.  The best part was the songs, "Dancing Cheek to Cheek," when two residents danced the number flawlessly.

Thursday came and went and still no sign of the lost keys.  I drove back to our east campus to personally search the parking lot and came up empty.  Lifting the white flag, I met with the key people on campus (pun intended) to line up replacements.

Then, I hope to find the originals.

Point Burger Bar now open in
Middleton. 1/11/19 dwm
Friday night we went to a new place - the Point Burger Bar which opened in Middleton last month.

It is a family place with a huge game room - suited for kids and larger "kids" as the day turns into night.  They offer 12 kinds of protein - so you choose salmon, veggies, a mushroom, 'impossible meat' as easily as an Angus or bison burger.

I went with the Classic, medium well with a side of sweet potato fries.  The burger was delicious with a little crisp around the edges.

It was a hopping Friday night with people waiting to get in.  The name is related to the brewery in Stevens Point, Wisconsin where Point Beer is made.  All the Point brews are on tap, and the soda also made in Point.

The menu offers different burger combinations or a page where you build your own - protein, the bun, and choices of every kind of condiment you can imagine.  Each addition comes with a price, so be careful.

Our appetizer arrived after the entree, so it came home in a box.  Next time, we'll try to better time the order.

It's a nice place - for families, for guys watching a game, even a girls' night out.  I'm looking forward to a return trip.

That's my week, I wish you much happiness in the week ahead.  All that snow... it's gone.  I hope we get more soon.

Comments