Brush with Famous - Herb Kohl

Senator Herb Kohl
official photo
I met United States Senator Herb Kohl while working for WISC-TV as their Rock County bureau reporter.  It may have been in 1989 or 90.

He was in town for something and it was my job to get an interview on the topic of the day (can't recall what that was).  In addition to serving in the Senate, Kohl also owned the state's National Basketball Association franchise, the Milwaukee Bucks.

As I recall, I had a couple of political or legislative questions then pivoted to a question or two about his team for our sports department.

The first thing I noticed is that he is short, maybe 5' 5" tops.  I felt like I was towering over him.  He was a kind and gracious interview.

When the subject changed to the Bucks he seemed to light up, he is a passionate basketball fan.

He started a Wisconsin State Fair tradition - a milk booth with a variety of interesting flavors (carmel, root beer, and the usual strawberry and chocolate).  I remember when it was just a quarter a glass and coupons to buy one and get one free were in the fair program.  The Bucks continue the tradition and keep the price nice and low.

Every time I interviewed him or saw him in public he was the same person - approachable and friendly.  You are likely to see the Senator in attendance at Milwaukee Buck home games; tell him I said hello.

Comments