My Week That Was - Dec 15


Ready for the holidays.  12/8/2018  dwm photo
My job this week was getting the Christmas cards finished and in the mail.

Jobs like this require several steps.  First is checking the card list - seeing who sent a card last year and who didn't.

It is followed by writing the Holiday letter -  stuff we did, things that happened, how we cured cancer and didn't end up in jail... you know.. the usual stuff.

Letters are fun to write but tough to edit so it fits the space available.  I addressed all the envelopes.

Yuletide cards are interesting.  Most folks buy them based on the picture on the front.  Others buy based on price.  We combined both in a purchase several years ago and are still living with the decision.

We bought cards at a holiday store in the Brookfield Mall at the tail end of a clearance sale.  Boxes were going for a dollar a piece or something equally ridiculous.

The picture on the front was nice.  There was writing on the back which seemed to convey a nice message.

Sold.  Fast forward to the next holiday season; I opened the box and pulled out a card.  The outside showed a vintage country village covered in snow.  There was even a covered bridge.

Inside were these words:  Les plus douces joies et les plus grands plaisirs en ce marveilleux temps des fetes !

That's right, we bought French holiday cards.  Not what I expected, but I wasn't going to let them go to waste.  Not one person who received one asked why on earth we sent a French card.  I bet no one actually read the card.  People check for a signature and a note before pulling out the letter.

If you are on our Christmas list - you might want to know what the card says.  It reads, The sweetest joys and the greatest pleasures in this marvelous time of the holidays!

We got such a good deal, there are enough cards to do it all again in 2019!

In any language, we want to wish you a Merry Christmas.

Oakwood's Holidaylights at Olin Park
12/9/2018 dwm photo
Amidst other holiday stuff this past week was a trip to see the light display at Olin Park near downtown Madison.  Local electricians started the display years ago.  Their work and sponsor support, keep it going.

One of the sponsors this year is Oakwood Village.  It's an interesting design and the lights move, placing a hat on the snowman's head.

The drive-thru light show is a follow-the-leader affair with cars extinguishing headlights before navigating the park. 

When finished, volunteers hand out candy canes and accepting free-will donations.

My last item from this week was a multi-department holiday party.

Oakwood Village is so large (700+ employees over two campuses) one party is impossible.  But Thursday, our team was invited to join several others in a get-together off campus.

These things are not usually in my wheel-house, but I thought I should go.  The event was a first in my time here (our Foundation team usually has our a party of our own).  There were forty people, including spouses and plus-ones in attendance.

It was excellent.  The host had a large kitchen to lay out the various trays of food and beverage.  There wasn't a special program or any white elephant exchanges - just an opportunity to visit with colleagues.

Most of them I don't know all that well outside of work.  The challenge at times like this is avoiding the temptation to talk shop all night - and everyone did a good job of sharing other stories.

Just one moment in particular stands out for me... I was trying to keep tabs on the time without 
pulling my phone out of my pocket.  At one point I saw a kitchen clock that read 8:03.

Have you ever seen a tooth in lights?
12/9/2018  dwm photo 
What seemed like a short time later, I saw another clock that read 10:10!!  That was alarming, pun intended, but I need to double check.   A third clock was closer to the time on the first clock - so the 'late' one must only be right twice a day.

Given all the words here... I'd say it was a busy week. 

You have 9 shopping days until Christmas!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Comments