Brush with Famous - Governors Ray and Branstad

Iowa Governor Robert Ray 1983
Cedar Rapid Gazette photo
When I was a student at Drake University, I received an amazing opportunity.

Despite not yet taking a news photographer class, I received an internship with KWWL-TV in Waterloo, Iowa to work in their Des Moines bureau.

When I started in January, 1983 out-going Governor Robert Ray met local reporters two days a week during the legislative session.  We were introduced, but those news conferences were as close as I got.  He was a Drake University grad.  I was a Drake sophomore.

Iowa Governor Terry
Branstad 1983.
Wikipedia photo
Not long after, there was a new man behind the podium, Terry Branstad.  I don't think anybody thought then he would be in office a very long time.

His first stint ran from 1983 to 1999 and retired to private law practice.  He was elected again in 2010, and served from 2011 to 2017 until becoming President Trump's choice as Ambassador to China because of a personal connection to the leader of that country.

My connection to Governor Branstad was closer than Governor Ray.  I did a few interviews with him and in 1984 while covering the legislature for a Waterloo radio station, I asked his press secretary if the Governor might include a small "item" in the news conference.

He announced my engagement to an Iowa girl I met while we were both working in the Capitol.  She was a Page in the Iowa House. 

We invited him to our 1985 wedding, but he was unable to attend, sending his regrets. 

Comments