The Nationals come to Madison

That's dirty snow stacked in front of the NCAA banner
11/17/2018 dwm photo
It wasn't the weather the NCAA expected when they awarded the Division One Cross Country Championships to the University of Wisconsin Madison.

They likely thought it would be in the 40s which is the average, and probably dreamed of a 50 degree day since that happens sometimes on November 17.

Instead, an inch of snow fell overnight and it only warmed into the low 30s.

My coping technique - dressing in layers.  Four shirts under a big winter jacket; four pairs of socks; and tights under blue jeans.  Ear covers under a wool cap kept my head warm.

Jeans, socks, and the tights really helped.  I was feeling cold by the end of the meet, but not numb.  I even had a couple of hand-warmers I didn't need.

The leaders in the women's race
make their way down hill on the 8k
course.  11/17/2018 (dwm)
It looked some of the runners had never experienced weather as cold, and I'm sure some athletes saw snow for the first time.

These were the best collegiate distance winners in the country.  Several already have International competitions on their resume.

My job as a course marshal was keeping spectators off the course.  Before each race, I patrolled my section 50 yards from the starting line asking everyone, "please stand behind the white line, thank you."

Joking, one person replied "which white line?"

I replied, "the spray-painted one."

The biggest difference between the NCAA Championships and most cross country meets is the speed.  Most runners are packed together; even the slowest are faster than many in a regular race.

If you are the last one to cross the finish line
at the Nationals -it means you qualified
 for Nationals! 11/17/18 (dwm)
I was impressed watching the athletes warm up.  There warm-up sprints appeared to be at full speed.  Their cleats kicked up divots of snow head-high, one landed on my shoulder.

The way they exploded off the starting line and were still looking effortless as they glided over the track.

Northern Arizona won its third straight men's title.  Colorado won the women's trophy.  Wisconsin men's runner Morgan McDonald took first place in his race to give the host a first place finish.

The Champion and Runner-Up
trophies. 11/17/18 (dwm)
This was the second time the championship ran at the Wisconsin course (1978) and third time in the state (Marquette 1985).

The Division Three championships were held in America's Dairyland as well - further north near Oshkosh.

This was my first time as a sports volunteer in Wisconsin after getting a taste of it while living in Indiana.  I hope it wasn't my last.

Comments