Low Expectations

This is me (in blue)
during the second mile.
11/22/18
(Focal Flame photo)
Since the last time I ran 3.1 miles in the 2017 Berbee Derby, I don't think I finished any of the three without walking part of the way.

My primary goal for this year's Berbee Derby was simple - don't walk.  Thanksgiving Day was cold - 29 degrees at the start of the race a few minutes before 9 a m.  I parked a mile away and walked to Fitchburg's Agora Park.  It's at the center of several technology companies who sponsor the run.  The race raises money to put technology into the hands of children in the Madison community.

Just after I got my picture taken by a volunteer photographer shooting the event, I watched the 10K race start, then stayed out of the wind before getting into my minutes per mile pace group to start the 5 kilometer race.

Some of the runners in the first miles.  11/22/2018
(Focal Flame photo)
One thing I like about the Berbee are the photographers, Focal Flame of Madison, and that the race posts the photos available at no additional charge. 

Since I go to the race on my own there is a limit to what I take with me.  I have a small belt that holds two small water bottles and a zipped pouch for my car keys, but that's it.  I leave my phone/camera at home, so those volunteers are much appreciated.

This was the 15th edition of the race and my third time.  In less than a half-hour they get all the runners in the 10 K (6.2 miles) and 5 K (3.1 miles) out in a series of starting waves.

Between the two races last Thursday there were 4,855 participants.

The 5 K course includes three hills.  One is gentle.  The second is a steep challenge.  The last is a gradual climb that is difficult primarily because it is less than a half mile to the finish as you ascend.

Admittedly, I wasn't sprinting any of the hills, but I kept my pace slowly passing runners who walked.

The first mile was pretty chatty as runners I passed or who passed me seemed to be deep in conversation.  One little runner, under 5 years old, was not happy.  I heard him declare he wasn't going to do it again.  Then he started wailing.  Not a second too soon, I was out of earshot.

It wasn't a sprint to the finish, but it felt good to stretch out my stride as we reached the finish line.  On the walk through the finish chute more photographers were taking pictures of folks while other volunteers handed out water, bananas, bagels, and chocolate chip cookies.  It was so cold, the cookie snapped with the first bite.

Later that day the race's website posted the results.  I was pleasantly surprised.

The yellow arrow points to me at the finish line.
While I didn't walk, it felt I was running slower than past races.  Based on the clock at the finish line (left side of photo), I thought my time was in the 37 - 39 minute range.

My time had me crossing the line in 33:55, finishing 48 of 92 men in my age group and 1,753 out of 3,519. 

By definition and the numbers I am 'the' average runner.

It is something to work on next year.

Comments