Daylight Saving Time

Sunset in Verona, WI.    11/1/2016  dwm photo
In the fall of 1984 I was finishing my last semester of college, working the 11 - 7 shift at WHO radio in Des Moines, Iowa.  11 pm to 7 am.

At 2:00 in the morning, the clock fell back an hour, so there was an extra hour of work.  It never showed up on my paycheck.

When I asked about it, I'd get it back in the spring when they didn't take away the hour as the clock jumped from 2 to 3 am.

I wasn't working in the spring, but apparently that didn't matter.  However, if someone would like to send that $3.35 I missed, that would be great.

Moving backwards is easier than springing ahead.  If you forget to make the adjustment the worst that happens is you get to your destination an hour early.  Forget in the spring and you miss out.

Just moving 60 minutes from the end of the day to the start makes a pretty big difference in these parts.  It's been dark when I've driven to work the last three weeks or so; for the next three it will be nice getting a look at daylight.

It will be dark on the drive home, but that doesn't seem like as big a deal.

Less daylight isn't an actual thing, of course.  Our game with clocks just shift when it happens.  Without Daylight Saving Time, our summer days in the upper latitudes would see the sun before 5 am for a few months.  Thanks to DST, the sun is up early, but we get more light when most of us tend to be active.

Yet, in comparing the two days where most of us change the time - it is far easier to get a few extra winks instead of fighting off yawns on early morning starts in the spring.

According to my old boss at WHO - we should be banking those zzz's so we can cash them in next March.

Comments