My Week That Was - October 27

Lapaceks's Orchard. 10/14/2018 (dwm)
Last Saturday brought the first "snow storm" of the season - you may have seen it during the first half of the Wisconsin Badger football game against Illinois.

For about an hour, ice crystals and eventually snow blew through the area, but other than a light and very temporary dusting on the turf at Camp Randall it didn't last into the afternoon.

At the time, my fellow cheese-heads were all excited about the Milwaukee Brewer game that night and how we were going to arrange our schedule over the next ten days to make sure we didn't miss a game of the World Series!

The Dodgers took care of our calendars like they did the Brewers, winning the series, four games to three.

It was a tough blow, but the Brewers had an awesome year and that isn't lost in the short-term pain of defeat.

Monday I heard about a piece of history I didn't know; in speaking with a gentleman over lunch he told me about his time of the service some of which involved flying kites.  This was new information and I wanted to hear more.  He explained they were used as target kites.  He and other sailors in the Navy would fly them from ships so that machine gunners could get target practice to prepare for attacks by enemy aircraft.

Judging by his response to my questions, he was used to people who had never heard about kites in wartime.  You can see a short film of the target kites here.  My friend said he was one of the trainers who taught other sailors the skills so the gunners manning the 50 caliber machine guns on deck could be ready for an attack.  I thought it was an incredible story.

Big news - we didn't win the $1,600,000,000 Mega Millions prize.  We not only didn't win, we flamed out spectacularly without one number matching.  So, like the rest of America it was off to work I went.

Next big thing was learning that life does go on without lottery winnings or your favorite team playing in the World Series.  Work went fine.  In fact, I enjoy my job, and this was a good week of work.

I hope you have a good week.

Comments