My Week That Was - October 13

The Kinnikinnick River at flood stage
10/6/2018 dwm photo
I learned earlier this year there is a covered bridge relatively close to where I live, but on private land.

After some research, I learned the name of the landowner and found a phone number.  When I asked permission to take pictures of their bridge they were kind in extending an invitation.

That's where I went Saturday.  I found the property without any trouble and followed instructions on where to park.

I didn't think about the rain.  A lot of it last month and more last week.  I drove down the path until water covered it.  I parked and walked through the forest in search of a place I could see the bridge.

I saw a large deer, maybe a buck.  I was trying to get untangled from thorny bushes across the path when WHAM!

Maybe ten feet away, the deer bolted out of the brush.  Oh my!   I wasn't surprised to see a deer.  I was surprised by its size and ferocity in escape.

Just after I arrived, I called the owners to let them know I was there and I shouldn't take too long.  It wasn't long because I couldn't see anything beyond the forest for the trees.  I called again to apologize and see if I might get a rain date.  The woman who answered suggested I drive up to the house.  She said their dog, Lola, was outside, but if I greeted was friendly I wouldn't have any trouble.

This might be the bridge.  (dwm)
In my history with dogs, this was a tough sell.  However, I wanted a picture of the bridge.  I drove up, rolled down the window, "Hi, Lola.  How are you girl?  Is it OK if I take some pictures?"  Several minutes later, convinced she wouldn't hurt me, I got out and walked down a different path.  A downed tree and fast moving water stopped me.  I went back up the hill where Lola followed as I went looked into the valley.

Looking into new territory I couldn't see very much.  I got a glimpse of sheet metal on something, but I couldn't tell what it was.  By this time, Lola was laying down by the garage.  I texted the owner asking if I might try again.  The answer was yes.

You know, I get a little particular when I in pursuit of something, whether it's Bucky statues, lighthouses, or covered bridges.  I look forward to another visit when I don't need a boat.

I'm not sure if I ever qualify as an athlete, but when it felt like my left foot caught fire Wednesday night it was the last thing on my mind.

Then, when the doctor told me Thursday, I have Plantar Fasciitis, that's when I knew I was an athlete with a real athletic injury.

I'd prefer not to have it and plan to do the exercises to keep it from re-occurring.  It's feeling better now.

The doc gave me the OK to resume work-outs Friday morning, so I eased my way back into it.

Stay tuned for updates...  Have a great week!

Comments