Fall Flavors

Ski Hi Fruit Farm. 10/4/2018
dwm photo
I've driven past it for years.  Each time I've wondered about the sign, "Ski Hi."  Was it ski, like downhill skiing?  Forgive me, but that was always my first thought.  I was wrong - it should read "Sky High."

Whatever you call it, you better plan on stopping because the 110 year old family fruit farm offers an inspiring autumn view from its lofty perch.

A German immigrant got the land in exchange for his service in the Mexican-American War, according to the store's history.  He sold it A.K. Bassett in 1907.

Bassett wanted to plant fruit trees.  He took classes at the University of Wisconsin.  With education and determination, the trees and farm grew.

A.K.'s son, Art, grew the farm to 500 acres and 90 varieties of apples.  Art's daughter is the third generation running the farm.

Sorting and bagging apples.  10/4/2018 (dwm)
They have a bakery on site and make their own cider.  Plus they have a store with a variety of treats and mementos.

I went home with a quart of fresh apple cider and ate a Cider Doughnut while admiring the view from their hill-top..

Which, by the way, could be an interesting ski hill if it weren't for the fences and trees in the way.

The doughnut was one of the best cider doughnuts I've had - a gentle, light quality which elevated it over denser cider doughnuts I've had elsewhere.

Looking north from the top of the orchard. 10/4/2018 (dwm)
While I saw a sign proclaiming 110 years of family farming, I wasn't aware they had a valuable piece of farm history on display.

The original cabin used by John Weidenkopf, which he sold along with the land to A.K. Bassett still stands.

Ski Hi is in a beautiful location with something for everybody - including a petting zoo - so it fits in with the numerous family attractions around Baraboo and nearby Wisconsin Dells.

When I go back - I want to see the cabin.

Comments