Brush with the Famous - My First Packer

My copy of Mean on Sunday.
10/1/2018 dwm photo
 This is part of a continuing series about famous people I've met.

I was 10 years old when I met Ray Nitschke.

He wore number 66 as middle linebacker for Coach Vince Lombardi's legendary Green Bay Packers.  His career in Green Bay started in 1958 as a rookie from the University of Illinois; he retired at the end of the 1972 season.

Less than a year later, he was in my hometown of Janesville, Wisconsin signing his autobiography at Walden Books.

At that age, I didn't appreciate his legacy or fame as the cog for a team which won 5 NFL championships in 7 seasons.

I knew who he was, but I was astounded by his size.

Maybe the store wasn't busy, or he was gracious enough to give a little kid extra time, he came around the table to give me a hug while a picture was taken. 

Ray's autograph.
Unfortunately, I don't have the photo.  For a split-second I had an inkling what it felt like on the receiving end of a Nitschke tackle.

It's been twenty years since Ray passed away, too young at 62.  He was an iconic Packer, visible in the community and around the state.  After his death, Green Bay named a bridge for him.

Little me loved reading biographies of sports figures; others I lives I read about were Brooks Robinson and Kyle Rote, Jr.

Years have passed since I last read Mean on Sunday - this Packer season it may be time to read it again.

Comments