My Week That Was - Sept 8

Young Cross Country runners    9/1/2018  dwm photo
This week started sitting at the kitchen table last Saturday when I heard the call to for the first cross country race of the day at Verona High School.

We live close, we can hear muffled announcements and music during various outdoor events, even with our windows closed.

I grabbed my camera and walked a short distance to find a spot watching runners negotiate the toughest section of the course.

It was fun to watch and cheer on the young runners.  Going cross country is a great athletic outlet for many reasons.  (I'll write more Tuesday for that blog post.)

We continue to get more rain than we need around here.  The rain and threat of rain shut down our Labor Day weekend plans, so instead there was baseball, football, and streaming the new Jack Ryan series.

I read all of Tom Clancy's original novels in his series which follows Jack Ryan all the way to when his son takes up the 'family business,' so I was curious about the series.  A few episodes in, it feels true to the books I've read despite the decision to update the scenarios to current global politics.

It feels like the rain hasn't stopped in weeks.  It isn't bad, but it is wet and we got another inch or two on Wednesday.  The ducks have taken to walking on roofs because they are tired of swimming.

Thursday was beautiful.  Sunshine and a high in the low 70s with little to no humidity.  It was also my day to give rides in the Oakwood rickshaw.  We had a wonderful time - up around the gardens, down the hill past gigantic pumpkins, around a fountain filled with Lilly pads, and down a shaded path in an urban forest.

I lost track of how many rides and riders, but we enjoyed ourselves.

We've had so much rain recently and flood waters are not expected to recede much until next week. The heavy rains gave me this thought... during winter it is generally thought there is an inch of water in ten inches of snow.  Can you imagine what the 10" of actual rain we got would have done if it were 28 or 30 degrees?

Yep, 100 inches of snow.  At one time.  I can't get my head around that one.

Have a great week.

Comments