Iron Riding

Ironman Wisconsin   9/9/2018  dwm photo
"You are an IRONMAN!" are the words every competitor wants to hear.

It is a badge of accomplishment, endurance, and perseverance.

A family member who is top condition, set out last Sunday to hear those words when he finished Ironman Wisconsin.

My bucket list doesn't include anything related to iron or steel.  Primarily because unless I get to do the first leg in a boat, I don't survive the swim.

Just consider a 2.4 mile swim.  I can't.  I am a poor swimmer on the best of days and more like a rock the rest.  Finish that, get on your bike and race 112 miles.  Then run a marathon, 26.2 miles.

The leading female triathlete at mile 52.  9/9/2018 (dwm)
Do any of these and you had a pretty awesome athletic achievement.  All of them on the same day in less than 17 hours after the last swimmer enters the water? 

"Congratulations, you ARE an IRONMAN."

My sister and her husband are Iron.

Judging by the athletes I watched ride by my perch, there are a lot of iron folks.

I noticed a few things these athletes have in common.  The vast majority were in shape (of course), but only a couple were what I call thin.  Quite a few thanked the police officer controlling the intersection where we sat as they rode up hill.  They wore various expressions ranging from dogged determination to a light confident smile as they enjoyed their Sunday ride.

Just 20 miles to go, and then you run a marathon.
9/9/2018  dwm photo
Living in Verona, we are a short walk from miles 52 and 92 on the Ironman bike loop, so we set up chairs to cheer and encourage riders pedaling their hearts out.  The race includes a 40 mile loop which riders do twice plus 16 miles from and back to downtown Madison.

You might want to give this supreme test a try next year.  Madison and the community get great marks for hosting the couple of thousand athletes who take part and this is a great time of year to visit.

I'll look for you when you ride past.

Comments