Extra, Extra, and four more Extras

Brewers celebrate  - 6/24/2018  dwm photo
15 innings.  500 pitches.  30 hits.

It was the first time all season a team trailed by two runs or more in extra innings and won the game.

It started with Milwaukee scoring four times in the first inning.  Surely, most fans thought, this game is going to be over early.

Leading by one in the 9th with our best relief pitcher to close it out and the hitter down to his final strike - most fans were very confident.

Pittsburgh tied it up in the top of the 9th.  Milwaukee didn't score until the 15th inning after early fireworks (2 - two run homers).

I was so confident at the top of the 9th, I encouraged my game partner to head to the car and get ahead of the rush.  When the game tied up, I expected my Brewers to win in the bottom of the 9th.  I thought the same in the 10th and 11th.

I realized I couldn't leave my friend at the car while I waited for the game to end.  As the 11th started, I decided if it went to the 12th, we left for home.

We ate at Fridays before the game
and watched batting practice.
8/24/2018  dwm photo
As we drove away, the game was on for the ride home. 

In the 13th, Ryan Braun hit one deep.  Play by play announcer Bob Uecker sounded like he thought it was a game-winner... but it wasn't.

In the 15th, Milwaukee had its last relief pitcher in the game.  The Pirates had runners on and down to their final strike when they took a two run lead.  Not good.

Neither team had any position players left.  Milwaukee needed two to tie.  Two runners on for Braun, but he struck out.

The pitcher walked, bringing up our 38 year old back-up catcher.  Eric Kratz was down to his final strike when he got a hit to knot the game at 6.  Then our great defensive shortstop who doesn't hit very well, hit one to right scoring the pitcher with the winning run.  It was quarter to one and we were back in Madison.  We cheered from 70 miles away.

The Selig Experience at Miller Park is worth the time for
every Brewer fan. 8/24/18 (dwm)
This trip to Miller Park included two new experiences.

We ate at Fridays.  Ticket-holders can get in the stadium two hours before the game if they eat at the casual restaurant.  Other ticket-holders get through the gate 90 minutes before game-time.  Our table looked over left field as Pittsburgh took warmed up.  It was nice sitting down to eat at the game and have people deliver it.

Before going to our seats, I got in a short line outside the Selig Experience.  Selig, Alan H. "Bud" Selig, is the man who brought baseball back to Milwaukee in 1970.  The multi-media presentation chronicles his passion for the game and his home town - Brewer fans will enjoy it.  And it is free to ticket holders before and during the game.

Mike Moustakas launches a first inning home run.
8/24/2018   dwm photo
It was an exciting, must-win game for the home team.  I wish had been there for the winning run, but I don't regret it.

While texting back and forth for the first couple 'extras' - I didn't think it was fair to stay in my seat while someone was waiting for me.  If we had been sitting together at the end of nine - it's a different story.

There are 30 games left in the season.  With no more tickets, I expect to watch most on TV.  This team has 9 walk-off wins so far - I can't wait to see what happens next.  Go Brewers!

Comments