My Week That Was - July 28

Wanna Buy a Lemonade?  7/24/2018  dwm photo
This last week was perfect to ride to work.  Other than Monday when I work on the other side of the city, I was able to ride Tuesday thru Friday.

Riding to work that often requires a couple of things for me: 1. Good weather, or at least no prediction of heavy rain 2. Work, frequently I have meetings off campus during the work day and I can't bike around the city to meet folks.

This Wednesday I was half-way home when I noticed a small table set up with a large poster, three kids, and a mom.

It looked to me like a lemonade stand!

Since I can't carry a water bottle easily on my e-bike,  I was thirsty, and a cold drink sounded good.

The lemonade reminded me of one my best friend and I operated a few years ago.

K.C. and me selling lemonade on Garfield in Janesville.
I'm on the left.   (1974)
My memories are that K.C.'s mom made the lemonade and shooed us outside.  I think we sold a cup for 5 or 10 cents, and I rode my bike up and down the street advertising.

Just in case you didn't do the math, I'm 9 in the photo (right).  It has been a long time since I tried wearing a muscle shirt.  But for several summers it was my go to shirt, pre-muscles.

In writing about my bike commute, there is one thing about it I've been meaning to tell you.  There is an interesting small three unit office building I ride past.

One holds a fence installation company; there is an insurance agency; and at the other end a fencing school.

It doesn't teach how to build fences.  It teaches students how to fence.  You know, as in the Olympics.  En Garde!

Fences and fencing - in the same place.  I just find the confluence amazing, but that's just me.

The rest of the week included helping with an ice cream social scooping of Babcock Dairy ice cream and introducing a volunteer to piloting a rickshaw.

It started last Saturday running with sausages before capturing a lighthouse I missed last year in Racine and then a visit to the first IKEA in Wisconsin.

That's a full week, I hope you have a good one.

Comments