Michigan Lights - Portage Lake

In 1930, this light replaced the lighthouse
at Portage Lake.  5/20/2018  dwm photo
I added the Portage Lake light to my list of Michigan lighthouses reluctantly.

The photo I saw was a steel skeleton which didn't evoke the romance and heritage I associated with lighthouses.  However, we were driving near it on the way to Ludington, so we made a quick stop.

I'm glad we did.

The history of the Portage Lake Light began with land-owners deciding to cut a channel from the lake to Lake Michigan.  Once complete, dredging and piers created a 50 foot wide waterway into the safety of Portage Lake.  It was the largest safe spot on Michigan's coast between the Big Sable and Point Betsie lighthouses.

The first light went online in 1889.  It was replaced in 1930 along the entrance to Portage Lake.

That light was removed in  1985 and taken to Manistee until the Marina where it was stationed was torn down.

The 1930 era light now stands near the
boat launch for Portage Lake.
5/20/18  (dwm)
The Portage Lake Association bought it back with hopes of placing it on their south pier which runs into Lake Michigan.

That didn't work, and a plan by the association to give it to a nearby park was turned down.

Finally the Portage Lake Harbor Commission agreed to place it on land owned by the state's Department of Natural Resources which hosted a boat launch.

All this history was unknown to me when we drove up to the boat launch.  I looked at the light.  I looked at the water.  From my vantage point I couldn't see Lake Michigan or even realize how close it was.

The light was fixed in 2010 and placed on a new perch in 2011.  The light was turned back on in 2015.

It's a long road for a simple light, but it fits that after all the twist and turns, the Portage Lake light is back at Portage Lake.

Comments