A Weekend with the Brewers

Jesu's Aguilar at the plate.
7/20/2018 dwm photo
My record attending Milwaukee home games isn't so hot this season.  I watched an April loss to the Cubs and a May defeat by the Pirates.

Just like my favorite team, I was on a losing streak going into the first game after the All-Star break.  Unfortunately, they lost again, to the Los Angeles Dodgers, 6 - 4.  Thankfully, they broke their losing string Saturday night - I have to wait until next month for mine.

It was a good game, but the Crew missed opportunities and committed critical errors on the field and on the bases.

This was the strapback hat we got
for being among the first 20,000
thru the turnstiles.   7/20/18 (dwm)
L.A. had a bunch of fans in the ballpark.  One of them, a young man from Long Beach, told us his quest is to follow the Dodgers to every Major League stadium.  It was his first time watching under a roof.  That was a good thing considering Milwaukee got more than an inch that afternoon.

You could feel some nervousness among the fans wondering what Brewer team would take the field.

Many of us hoped Manny Machado would be on the field.  He was, but for the Dodgers and reached base every time.  He was booed, which didn't make sense since it was a trade that sent him to Southern California, beyond his control.

The Dodger catcher scrambles out
of the Sausages path. 7/20/18 (dwm)
Just when some of the "not as faithful" fans left after L.A. went up four runs on a 3-run 9th inning home run; Milwaukee mounted an unrequited comeback in the home-half of the final frame. 

It was a sad walk to the car after the final out.  Our new acquaintance from Dodgerland left to enjoy the Cream City nightlife and return for another game.

We were back at Miller Park nine hours later.

"Charging" to the finish.
5/21/2018 rkm photo
It was the morning of the 20th Annual Racing Sausages 5K Run/Walk.

The sausages were on hand to lead off the race - Brat, Polish, Italian, Hot Dog, and Chorizo - and I bet they were cooked by the time they finished.  Each completed the 3.1 mile distance.

My strap-back hat is off to them.

I was happy with my run.  Coming into this event, I failed to break 30 minutes in the last two.  The primary strategy was to just keep running.

For some reason, since last November I just couldn't find my wind to sustain three miles.

I wore the 2017 shirt.
The 1st of 5. 5/21/18 (rkm)
It required slowing down and working back up to a better pace.  Don't be confused, I'm not competing for a place in the top 10, I just want to feel good about my time.

It was 29:29, good enough for 46th among men 50 - 59, 10 minutes behind the winner.

This is a fun event.  It is well-organized and the entire route circles much of Miller Park, including the parking lots.  My highlight is running along the warning track from the right field corner, behind home plate, and out the left field corner before turning for the finish.

There was beer, brats, and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches after the run.  The best piece of swag was the 2018 shirt featuring sausage #2 the Polish.  I'll wear him next time.

Comments