My First and Latest Brewer Ball caps

My new retro Brewers cap.
The original is in back.
4/14/2018  dwm photo
My first Milwaukee Brewers baseball cap was one of two my Dad bought for me at what I am sure was the very first time we went to a professional baseball game.

Just when that game was, I'm not sure.  The team logo on the cap was used in their first season, 1970, before replaced in 1977 with the iconic "ball and glove" logo.  I think we went before I was 10.

I remember a number of things about that game.  We had good seats, along the first baseline.  Dad bought me the fielding cap and a replica batting helmet.  I still had that helmet in my possession until 6 years ago.

Logos are more stylish now than a block M in gold.  I think it was modeled on Milwaukee's first pro baseball team, the Braves.  It also looks similar to the University of Michigan sideline caps.

You won't find many of these hats at the ballpark, but there are a few.  Most, I've noticed, are worn by men of a certain age.

Hmmm, what does that mean?

For me, the 15th Brewer cap in the "cave" takes me to my earliest baseball experiences.  I remember thinking how fast the games were; we sat down and it seemed like minutes later it was the fourth inning!  That's probably not true, although there were no TV commercial breaks during most of the games and players didn't leave the batter's box unless they got a hit or struck out.

Not long after that first game, Dad took me to "Bat Day."  The Brewers gave each kid coming in the gate their own baseball bat!  I had those for decades too.

I can't imagine any team's risk adviser thinking it would be smart to hand out bats these days to go with peanuts, Cracker Jack, and beer.

The old cap has the insert that came with my new one.
Otherwise the M would be invisible.  dwm photo
The original cap was fitted.  No adjustable straps.  Safe to say, my head quickly outgrew it.

Baseball is a sport that returns to its history better than the rest.  Statistics are still comparable between today's game and when Babe Ruth was on the field.

The memories and are priceless, which isn't completely the same here since  I had to buy the hat.

Comments