My Week that Was - April 28

Bonaparte's Gull, Stricker's Pond.  4/21/2018  dwm photo
The first day of this blog week is Saturday.

Last Saturday morning was cloudy with temperatures warming through the 30s into the 40s by late morning.

It was time to visit Stricker's Pond.

My colleague introduced me to the pond a year ago with stories of a variety of birds who called it home or used it as a rest stop during migration.

Joining folks from the neighborhood walking around the pond with leashed dogs or with camera in hand, I wasn't out of place with a Nikon and a tripod.
A duck in a tree.  I don't know why.
4/21/2017  dwm photo

I saw several Bonaparte Gulls, Loons, a Sandhill Crane, Wood Ducks, Mallards - including a female perched in a tree on her webbed feet, and several Red Wing Blackbirds.

Lots of times I tried getting photos of the bird with a gold trimmed red epaulet; they never stayed still long enough to get the shot.

Yet around Stricker's Pond these birds seemed calm and glad to pose.  I saw the bird in the shot below from ten yards away.  I took several shots, then walked quietly on the other edge of the sidewalk as I approached.

It didn't move.  I rested the tripod on the path.  I bent down and looked through the viewfinder.  It was still on one of last year's milkweed pods five feet away.

The call of the Red-Wing Blackbird.  (dwm)
Click, click, click, click.  It looked away.  It looked right through me.  It sounded a warning, but it stayed still.

After several minutes and enough good shots to make me happy; I bid thanks and continued my walk.

This past week's weather is spring-like.  It reached the mid-60s on Monday.  I think spring has sprung.

It was hectic - high priority visits; two floor meetings; and a condo association meeting.

This is my second year on the condo board for our small association.  We just finished our spring meeting.  It is a time to walk around the property to see what might need to be done and things which might become a problem if we don't act quickly.

I've learned more about the workings of our association this way, and a deeper appreciation for the value of volunteers.  It isn't a perfect system, but together we decide what our priorities are and how to pay for them.  It is worth my time, but I'll be glad to let a neighbor get their opportunity soon.

Another interesting moment, on my way home Wednesday from the east campus I noticed a Yellow Jacket on the back passenger side window.  I rolled it back up and headed out.  On the Interstate, it held its ground up to 65 miles per hour.  It finally flew away at a stop light some 15 miles from where it started.  I wonder if it felt lost...

I hope you find yourself this week!

Comments