My Week That Was - Mar 17

Internet image
Happy St. Patrick's Day. 

I hope you're wearing something green.  It's as good a reason I can think of to wear Green Bay Packer gear in March.

In my lifetime two holidays have become a big deal, and I'm fairly certain they got little to no attention outside their most devoted patrons.

Halloween is one.  It was a holiday for children going door to door.  Now it's about decorating houses and as much for adults as little ones.

The other is St. Patrick's Day.  I think brewery marketing has something to do with its higher profile, but it is much bigger than it used to be when buttons saying "Kiss me, I'm Irish" were in style.  Now it seems to be more about the drink and revelry.

Be careful and have fun!

If you are a member of LinkedIN, I wonder if you are noticing something strange. Lately, I'm getting all kinds of folks invitations from me that I'm pretty sure I never sent.  Is LinkedIN sending out invites on my behalf or is it something else?  It appears my "invites" are going to folks primarily in the same field, but the acceptances are surprising me.

In other news this week, on Wednesday students across the country walked out of class in honor of those killed in the Parkland, Florida shooting and to encourage action to prevent more violence.  I think the school officials who worked with the students demonstrated good judgement.

Trying to prevent a peaceful protest would have escalated things and seen as an effort to silence students.  In allowing the opportunity without endorsing it, I think it demonstrated how we all can and should be willing to listen to those with whom we might disagree.

Spring doesn't officially arrive until Tuesday, but the weather is trending that direction.  We have cold nights and warmer days - nearly warm enough for the sap in Maple trees to start moving.  Night time temps are still in the 20s or below, so we are not out of winter's grasp just yet.

My week was one of my favorites all year.  I take Thursday and Friday off work to curl up with a bracket and a remote control to watch as much of every NCAA basketball game I can.  The first time I recall doing that was in 1987 when we lived in Pierre, South Dakota,

Just two years after the tournament expanded to 64 teams, there was a feast of 32 games over two days.  It was a celebration of basketball for me and thankfully my wife didn't mind the roughly 12 hours I spent in front of the television each day to watch.  I haven't always taken the first two days of the tourney off, but have seen more than I've missed through the years.

I don't have a clean bracket at this point, but am enjoying the games.  I'll let you know how tattered my bracket is on Tuesday.

Have a great week!

Comments