Taking the Stage

"When the shark bites, with its teeth, babe.
Scarlet billows, start to spread...." 
2/12/2018  friend's photo
I like to sing.  I think most folks would prefer I keep it private.

There were a couple years singing in choir during middle school when I was the only boy with the sopranos (which, at the time, didn't seem like a bad thing).  I tried singing with a church choir in South Dakota, but it didn't take since I couldn't read music.

Most of singing was in the car with the radio on or in the shower.  I sang with Billy Joel at his concert. He didn't seem to mind as long as I stayed in my seat.

Jokes aside, I am under no illusion or delusion that the world wants to hear me; at least not for long.

We had a good system for a whole bunch of years; then a resident at Oakwood Village promoted the idea of an "Oakwood-Oke" evening.  It's karaoke, but with an actual musician.

I was asked to join because the director had other residents and staff members lined up, she wanted a guy to sing.  Qualifying on that scale, she eventually convinced me to give it a try.

The show was last week.  It was a blast.

On piano was Dave Adler, a professional musician who made everyone, especially me, look and sound good.  The crowd was supportive - looking for entertainment but not pointing out flaws of the singers willing to stand up and sing.

Residents, a resident with her grandson, staff, and staff children took the stage singing everything from original compositions to "A Ladybug Picnic" to my favorite, "Mack the Knife."

Who knows what makes a song our favorite... the tune; the circumstance when we first heard it; or the lyrics?

I like "Mack the Knife" for the rhythm, the beat, the swing, jazz, and the lyrics which don't quite match the bouncy tune.

On stage, I listened for the music, the "1, 2, 3, 4..." and began, "Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear...."

I looked around the Center for the Arts hearing claps to the beat and noticing heads bobbing with the music.  I heard the pianist singing back-up and offering encouragement.  I couldn't tell what it all sounded like, but just tried to go with it and have fun with the music.

"Didja hear about Louie Miller?  He disappeared, babe.  After drawing out.  All his hard-earned cash."

Some of the claps on the beat ran to the end as the piano reached its crescendo before the final words,

I'm not quitting my day job, but admit I really enjoyed it.  Perhaps enough to try again some time.

"Look out, ol' Macky is back!"

Comments