My Week That Was - Feb 17

One thing which happened this
week, Oakwood - oke!
2/12/2018  rkm photo
For several weeks, I've been singing under my breath or out loud along with online videos.

It began with a conversation in passing with a resident who serves on the campus Life Enrichment committee who was excited about a live karaoke planned in the new year.

Four months ahead it sounded cool and maybe fun.  Which is about all I said, but I all I could come up with was agreeing to think about it.

After a month or so, the phone rang.  Would I be part of it?  I wasn't sure, I liked the idea more in concept than in reality.  It was explained that the night was about fun and that folks would be supportive.

And, it would be really nice to have a male staffer be part of this....

Which is when I think I agreed.   A week later I needed to commit to the song I'd sing.  There wasn't a doubt in my mind, it had to be "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin.

It was in what I thought was my vocal range and it would be something the audience of residents would know.  I figured that would help.

Last Monday was showtime.  I practiced with the piano player, Dave Adler, a couple hours before the show.  It left me feeling better about my prospects because his talent was so amazing maybe no one would notice me.

The show started.  A resident sang the first tune.  Then my name was called.

Come back Tuesday, February 20 to get the rest of the story...

The show impacted the rest of the week.  The most common comment I heard was, "I thought I knew you, but I didn't know you could do that!"

What did that mean?  What did they think I was like?

Beyond the live karaoke, there was work and there were Olympic games to watch.  It's nice to have the time difference work in favor of us watching from home - since 10 am ski times match up with 7 pm Central Standard Time.

After a week's worth of snow, we had a couple days of warmth which melted the piles far enough to see if there were cars coming up the road.  We are more than half-way through February, so I expect we will get more snow and more warm-up days as we slip and slide toward spring.

And speaking of spring, pitchers and catchers reported to Milwaukee Brewer spring training on Wednesday.  This looks like a very exciting season coming up for the Brew Crew, expectations are as high for the team as I can ever remember.

Wednesday was also Valentine's Day and Ash Wednesday.  A day to remind family and friends how much you love them.  Ash Wednesday begins the journey of Lent, a somber reflection and realization of how much Jesus loves us.

It was a good week - I hope yours went well, too.

Comments