My Week - Feb 24

Pond Hockey   1/25/2014    dwm photo
My week intertwined with the Winter Olympics.  I've watched a lot of curling, although I didn't watch the Gold medal match with the USA in the wee morning hours earlier today, but loved the result and the replay of their win over Sweden.

Janesville was one of the first smaller to medium sized cities with its own ice rink, and I remember the excitement when Janet Lynn used it for her preparations for the 1972 Sapporo Winter games.  She was a figure skater from nearby Rockford, Illinois.

I was probably too young to watch much of those games, if I did I don't remember much.

Lynn did well for her home country and adopted home-town winning a bronze.

You couldn't do much better this week than with the USA Women's Hockey team earning a Gold over their rival from the north, Canada.  Madison is into hockey and with the top-flight Wisconsin Badger women's team, there was a lot of interest in the hockey title game.  Nine Badgers competed, five for Canada and four for the winning American team.  It was an awesome performance.

Almost all of the snow we received a couple weeks ago is gone.  Warm weather and rain will do that.  A few degrees colder and we would have had a lot of snow.  Not quite as warm and we could have been covered in ice.

On my drive home last night I noted the sun is still above the horizon at 5:30 in the afternoon, that is a clear sign spring is coming soon.

Make your week a great one!

Comments