Jerry Kramer, H.O.F.

Jerry Kramer, right guard for Lombardi's Packers
 (Photo CBS Sports)
I never met Jerry Kramer.

It just feels like I've known him all my life.

His bestseller, Instant Replay, was the first real sports book I read.  I am guessing I was around 10 - 12 years old when I read it the first time.

It is the story of the 1967 Green Bay Packers, a diary starting in training camp ending with the victorious ride off the field Kramer helped give Coach Vince Lombardi after winning Super Bowl II.

A 1967 best-seller - my
first Sports book.
(internet image)
While reading and re-reading their story, I felt like I got to know Kramer and his teammates.  He 'kept it real,' if I can use today's phrase for it.  The pain and hardships; the love-hate relationship players had with their coach; and the physical challenges to prepare and play the game.

I watched Kramer's Packer teams, but was so young those memories never stuck.  Kramer's memories became mine and a whole generation of Packer fans and those who love sports.  His book represented a shift in the genre.  No longer a fuzzy focus tale of heroism, the story showed the tough side too.

Saturday, Jerry Kramer became the 13th Lombardi Packer elected to the Football Hall of Fame.  It was a long time coming.

Kramer was named as a starting guard on the 1960s Team of the Decade and the last member of that team in the Hall.

Jerry Kramer attends Packer games with other Green Bay
alumni.   (photo packers.com)
Kramer was a great player and all-around talent.  He kicked field goals and extra-points.

I guess his fame as a writer bothered some of the football writers who decided who make it into the Hall.  This was the 11th time he was considered, getting the necessary 80% of the vote.

At age 82, 50 years after the Ice Bowl when he lead the way for Bart Starr's sneak into the end zone - I'm thrilled for Mr. Kramer.  I look forward to watching the ceremony in August.

I'm sure every Packer fan and football fans everywhere agree.

Comments