Wise Words

Sunrise over Lake Huron
9/20/2017     dwm photo
Whoever watches his mouth and tongue    keeps himself from trouble.  Proverbs 21:23 ISV

It's good advice.  An admonition we've heard many ways before.

This is my favorite:
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."  
(unknown, Brainy Quote)

The words were part of Sunday's sermon discussing "fighting fair," and were book-ended with other good words from Proverbs:

A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand,    for he would rather express his own opinion.
Proverbs 18:2-3

Like most of you, I don't always, OK, usually, heed such words because I'm so excited to share my brilliance with any audience nearby.  In just waiting for you to stop talking so I can, I miss what you are telling me.

Given the hostility and incivility of our present age, we would all do well to listen before speaking.  

Here's a thought, listen to the person you disagree with to learn why they have their point of view.  You don't have to change your mind, but hopefully it helps add perspective.

It's some good advice which has stood the tests of time.

Of course, your opinion may differ.

Comments